Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I bought my bike I think it might have sat for a long period of time, possibly with little air in the tires. Regardless, the tread measurement it still acceptable, but there is some cracking in the sidewalls of both tires in a few spots. Possibly dry rot. I'm planning on getting new tires soon. I've put probably a couple thousand miles on the tires in this condition. The cuts seem shallow, probably just the top ply.

Just wondering if you guys know if this is really something urgent...as in i shouldn't ride anymore until i get new ones. I know most of you will probably give conservative responses like "better to be safe", but I'd prefer a real answer. :wink:

Thanks

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
What kind of tires, how big arethe cracks?

Most all tires devlope some small cracks as they age, usually no problem. Sun exposure does it.

They are usually just surface cracks in the rubber and don't go very deep so aren't a problem.

BUT, if they are deep or the rubber really is dry rotted, replace them, soon.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rickbb said:
What kind of tires, how big arethe cracks?

Most all tires devlope some small cracks as they age, usually no problem. Sun exposure does it.

They are usually just surface cracks in the rubber and don't go very deep so aren't a problem.

BUT, if they are deep or the rubber really is dry rotted, replace them, soon.
Dunlop qualifier up front and K555 in back. Yeah, as I said, they look pretty shallow, and they're only in certain spots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
in my opinion anything with cracks as important as tires I would replace with urgency, they might look shallow but they still affect the integrity of the tire. Would hate to have a blow out at any speed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright guys I got it. So where's the cheapest place to get new ones. Probably wanna go with the same ones, Dunlop Qualifier in front and K555 in back. I assume it would be cheaper to buy them online than to just take it to a bike shop. I would do it myself except I don't have the equipment to mount the tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't listen to them, Cracked tires are great and when they blow they give you a burst of energy,, only kidding, Tire cleaners etc. can prematurely age the sidewalls on tires, specially the softer rubber on bike tires. I would replace them also, shop around for best price but don't go with the cheapies either, They may not perform as well as a midrange tire. Lots of input on the forums on types ,, metzler dunlop bridgestone etc, They don't have to be bigname just good quality, If buying online you may get good pricing but still need installation. Most good shops when they sell you tires the installation is reasonably priced. versus you bringing in tires to be installed.
Just my 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.