Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The stock Dunlop rear tire on my 2012 Shadow 750 Aero is getting pretty done for. More like lines instead of grooves in the center strip. Cost is a big consideration now that we are living smaller and on one income. Then again, cost is always a factor. So high end tires are out.

I've been looking at the Pirellie MT66 and the Shinko 777. My stock rear tire is a 160/80/15. The Shinko has that size listed (I'm looking on the Motorcycle Superstore site.), but the closest thing the Pirelli list shows is a 170/80H/15. IIRC the first number is the tire width. Can I get away with a slightly wider tire on the Aero? It is a wire rim, so tubed of course, so I'd have to match the tube, which I intended to replace anyway.

Also, I see S and H designations after the second number, but to date don't know what that means. How does this relate to use on the Shadow? Never mind. Speed ratings. Got it. Like I have to worry about the Shadow going 130 mph other than off a cliff. LOL.

What about Bias versus Radial concerns? Am I stuck to Bias with tubes, or can a radial be ran with tubes? Any reason I would want to do so?

Thanks,
Amos

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good day,
I heard once that is aceptable to go up on size but never down. Will this be something i will like to do on my ride, the awnser is may be not.
I found this Sinko tire which is 97 with free delivery. I am sure you would be able to find cheper tires if you look around. Trust me I know and share the feeling. I hope it helps.
NEW Shinko 777 160/80-15 REAR BW Motorcycle Tire | eBay

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tire sizes are listed as width/aspect ration/rim size. Therefore, 160/80/15 is 160 mm wide/ sidewall is 80% of width/ for a 15 inch rim. You should be able to go up to a 170/80/15 with no issues. Also, I still run my original tube for a 160 tire in my 170 and have no ill effects. Radial vs. bias is really no big deal. You can run a tube in either. There is no reason to look specifically for a radial. Odds are your front tire is bias ply, anyway.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Running the MT66 170 on my rear, no problems what so ever and, it's been a good tire. I have about 15k km clocked on it with plenty of life left, I liked it so much that when I switched out the original Dunlop front, I went with the MT66.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the quick feedback guys, and the link Palunar. I guess I need to get ordering soon.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Keep in mind that the 170/80-15 will be .700 larger in dia. thus making it taller geared = lower RPM's at any given speeds. A 180/70-15 is smaller in dia. @ .160 smaller in dia. thus making it lower geared = higher RPM's. "H" speed rating is 130 mph. and yes you can use a tubeless tire with a tube. As far as radial/bias, it isn't good to mix. Use the same on both ends so to speak.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Check out Chaparral Motorsports in CA, Cruiser Motorcycle Tires - Chaparral Motorsports or Rocky-Mountain ATV Motorcycle Tires | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

The Shinko 777 and Kenda Kruz tires are roughly the same prices. Now, I don't know how the Shinko wears, but I've got roughly 4K on my Kruz and you can hardly tell they've been driven on. Wet-weather handling is fantastic... I was stuck in a horrible thunderstorm on the Interstate this past week... I was soaked to the bone (yes, rain-gear was at home, not in the bags - the weather man LIED :D), but the tires handled like there was dry pavement under them... no slipping or hydroplaning.

Yes, you can use either with tubes, and I agree with everyone else... moving up one size will be perfectly fine, and will reduce your RPMs at cruising speed, which is a good thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts