Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just lookin for a little greater understanding.

Ive searched threads and googled and found almost the answer im wanting.

Ive got Dunlops--and ive always just changed tires by measuring tread depth with a penny or indicator----recently I learned about the tread wear indicator bars that run cross ways in the tread and are located by the triangle on the sidewall...???

Just a few things are confusing me---does the wear indicator appear in the tread when the tire gets worn down enough or is the wear indicator visible on a brand new tire and you replace when it gets worn away or worn even

Reason im asking is that my tires are getting close to when i usually replace them and im looking for this wear bar in the treads that are in line with the triangle and i dont see anything

Does anyone have a good pic of a wear indicator showing a worn tire or can explain this to me better so i will know what im looking for

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Look at your tread. Do you see te little bumps INSIDE the groves? Those are the wear bars. If you don't have any tread or groves left the wear bars may be worn off also.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you have under 1/16" tread, it is time to shop. Dunlops have particularly thin casings and can easily go down when showing this amount or less. Poke at your old tire after it is off the rim to see what I mean.

As with many forum members, I strongly recommend ME 880s.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks--- i guess my wear bars are gone, but it still looks like more than 1/16 of tread to me (no bald spots anywhere either)---im pretty sure that i will be getting those metzlers when i change

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Per Dunlops web site--
​
MINIMUM TREAD DEPTH

Always remove tires from service before they reach the tread-wear indicator
bars (1/32 of an inch tread pattern depth remaining). Worn/unworn
tire combinations and worn tires used in wet conditions can result in deteriorated​
handling.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks csk--thats the kind of pics i was searching for---i guess i suck at googling;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
No prob. Glad it helped you out. Google can be a bit of the pain in the butt at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts