Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a 05 (bike was manufactured in 04) aero last fall, had 600 miles. a friend said even though little or no mileage is being put on the tires, time alone will take off the equivalent of a few thousand miles of wear every year. sounds logical to me. any one have any specific knowledge on this?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
not so much wear perse but the tire will age of course which affects the durability of the rubber. keeping it out of the sun will reduce the aging and its effects.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dry rot kills rubber fast. This is what he is probably talking about.

The tires may look really good at first but the dry rot will eat the miles off fast when you go riding.

Keep the sidewalls protected to keep them from cracking.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Tires have two things going against them, wear (use) and age (time).

I found some rubber bands the other day that had been put up and forgotten. They looked fine (un-used) but they were VERY hard and would break if you tried to stratch them. (age consumed all of there usable life).

Now we are changing out some bed rooms and some closets and I found some more rubber bands that were mixed up in a junk box, these didn't look so good, yea, they were un-used BUT they were soft and gooey and had things stuck to them. (aged got them)

So lets say for example a tire has ten years of life (usable) or storage before one or the other takes its life) (@ two thousand miles a year = 20,000 miles).

Now lets say you buy a bike and it has a brand new (un-used) set of tires on it, they've been on the bike for eight years, at the same two thousand miles a year rate, the tires only have 4,000 miles of service left. So the eight years got 16,000 miles of the life of the tires. Yes, its possible that you could still get 20,000 miles out of the tires, but you would have to do it in ony two years.
MarkC

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tire wear

It is called shelf life of the product. Most plastics and rubber products have a shelf life, a maximum time the product is good for. Beyon that time limit you have chemical deterioration of the product.

For rubbers it becomes hard and cracks appears on the surface. For tires look for the cracks, thin crack lines on the surface and side wall of the tire. It is sign to change even if never rode.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,222 Posts
For tires look for the cracks, thin crack lines on the surface and side wall of the tire.
Look between the tread, too.

But on a 2005, I wouldn't sweat it for a minute.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The rubber manufacturers can make specific rubber compounds (EPDM - and please don't make me try to spell it out) that are alot more resistant to the effects of ultraviolet rays and ozone, but I have been told that they make for poor tires, it looses its gripping abilities. Or if your into the conspiritorial theories, they don't want us to have tires that would last for ever.

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts