Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!
It took me some time, but soon I'll be riding a Shadow again, an 1100 C3. However it needs new tires ASAP.

Fear not, I have already searched through numerous old threads but haven't found an answer, that's why I'm making a new thread.

I'm from Bavaria and ride regularly. Sometimes I can avoid rain, sometimes I can't. So I meet the occasional rain shower. For when that occurs, I want to have the best chances.
So far in Germany, only the Dunlop D404s, Metzeler Marathon 888s and the Shinko 777s are available.

Michelin offers a Commander II and III, but only Commander IIs for both front and rear. Sometimes mixing tires (even models) can be a bit of a hassle if the state inspector has a bad day.

So... What would be the best choice?

Honestly speaking, on the ond hand I'd love to go with the best wet weather tire, just to be on the safe side.
However, riding in the rain doesn't happen that often and if it does, I'll ride pretty cautiously anyhow to adapt to the circumstances. In that case, why not go a with a good mileage tire that will give me a good and long time. And if it rains, I'll "just" be even more careful.

TL;DR: I really only have 4 choices: Shinkos, Dunlops, Michelins and Metzelers. Which one would you go with?

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
11,042 Posts
I would go, Metzler, however, they work great on my Valkyrie but it is heavier than your Shadow which may or may not be an issue

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,094 Posts
I put a set of Dunlop Elite 4 on (Goldwing) and they are very good in wet weather. They are available in your size.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hello guys!
It took me some time, but soon I'll be riding a Shadow again, an 1100 C3. However it needs new tires ASAP.

Fear not, I have already searched through numerous old threads but haven't found an answer, that's why I'm making a new thread.

I'm from Bavaria and ride regularly. Sometimes I can avoid rain, sometimes I can't. So I meet the occasional rain shower. For when that occurs, I want to have the best chances.
So far in Germany, only the Dunlop D404s, Metzeler Marathon 888s and the Shinko 777s are available.

Michelin offers a Commander II and III, but only Commander IIs for both front and rear. Sometimes mixing tires (even models) can be a bit of a hassle if the state inspector has a bad day.

So... What would be the best choice?

Honestly speaking, on the ond hand I'd love to go with the best wet weather tire, just to be on the safe side.
However, riding in the rain doesn't happen that often and if it does, I'll ride pretty cautiously anyhow to adapt to the circumstances. In that case, why not go a with a good mileage tire that will give me a good and long time. And if it rains, I'll "just" be even more careful.

TL;DR: I really only have 4 choices: Shinkos, Dunlops, Michelins and Metzelers. Which one would you go with?
'

I think if you want to go with Wide Whites, your choices will be Shinko`s and Dunlop.
'

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I put a set of Dunlop Elite 4 on (Goldwing) and they are very good in wet weather. They are available in your size.
They're avilable, yes, but not being produced/imported anymore, so the newest ones are DOT 2017, which isn't exactly the kind of DOT I fancy :|

I guess when it comes down to it, I'll gravitate towards the 888 and'll just be careful AF in the rain, then :-D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stay away from D404's. Not good tires for heavy bikes.
Alright, that definitely rules them out, then.
I guess then it really comes down to Marathon 888 front & rear or Commander 2s in the front and 3s on the back.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,905 Posts
I'm happy with the Shinko 777 on my ACE 750 I found them good when I've been caught in the rain, in fact they are surprisingly good in everything except mud and snow.
Commander 2's are notorious for poor wet traction, a trade off for high mileage that the Commander 3 supposedly alleviates.
I have the 170/80-15 heavy Duty on the rear and 120/90-17 on the front.
The 750 is probably 50 or 60 pounds lighter than the 1100.
Sticker than your other quoted options.

Tire wear does not seem bad to me.
My next set will be the same thing as I am pleased with them.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,449 Posts
Shinko would be my option given the options. Affordable and by all who use them, excellent manners although wear rate isn't as great but in a cooler climate that might be better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but... When it comes to the rear wheel, what tube & valve does the Shadow need? Regular tubes are fine I think, but what about the valves?

I never knew there were so many different ones :D

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but... When it comes to the rear wheel, what tube & valve does the Shadow need? Regular tubes are fine I think, but what about the valves?

I never knew there were so many different ones :D
You will want the metal stem that is turned 90*. I think it is PV-87, but don’t quote me.

I just changed mine to the 777. I will try to remember to look at the tube info when I get home.

I just ordered the tube and wheel flap from partzilla. Don’t have to figure out what tube size that way.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shinkos will be great! I love my 777s
I just found out, since Shinko isn't really represented here in Germany, they don't give out the special german papers that are needed when installing their tires. (Germany, the land of paper wars). :/

You will want the metal stem that is turned 90*. I think it is PV-87, but don’t quote me.

I just changed mine to the 777. I will try to remember to look at the tube info when I get home.

I just ordered the tube and wheel flap from partzilla. Don’t have to figure out what tube size that way.

Eric
Awesome! So the 90° valve is no gimmick but actually useful, then. Ok, i'll look for one like that.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I just found out, since Shinko isn't really represented here in Germany, they don't give out the special german papers that are needed when installing their tires. (Germany, the land of paper wars). :/

Awesome! So the 90° valve is no gimmick but actually useful, then. Ok, i'll look for one like that.
Yes,,,it makes getting to the stem easier on the rear for me. I still have to lay on the ground to get to it but it’s easier. I meant to turn it to the right side this time but forgot to, maybe next time.

Y’all have to have papers just to mount tires???

Eric

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes,,,it makes getting to the stem easier on the rear for me. I still have to lay on the ground to get to it but it’s easier. I meant to turn it to the right side this time but forgot to, maybe next time.

Y’all have to have papers just to mount tires???

Eric
Yup! :D
in the bike's papers the tire-dimensions are listed. so when a copper stops you or at the bi-yearly inspection it is checked that only the allowed tires sized + the exact load and speed-limit of the tires are okay.
And as if that wouldnt be enough, if you're unlucky the bike has written in its papers something like "tires mandated by the manual" which more or less forces you to only mount the tires that are mentioned in the manual (even if the manual is 20+ years old and the tires aren't made anymore).

that's where tire-manufacturers like Metzeler or Michelin come in. They offer certain papers that show that using Tire X on front and rear are safe for the bike.
Sure you can mount other tires, but during the bi-yearly inspection or if a traffic cop stops you, you'll get in trouble.

Germany recently lifted the mandatory tire-thing, even if it says so in the papers. but only if the bike has been registered under the european union thing from 2000 onwards. So any bike before 2000 that has the tire-thing in the papers, is a bit ****ed (like me).

So I try to make the best out of it by mounting tires that aren't mentioned in the 21 year old manual, but at least the manufacturer has given out papers that say it is safe to do so. (Sadly, Shinko hasn't done this, only the major brands like Michelin, Metzeler, Brudgestone or Avon). And out of these, Avon seems to offer the best rain grip :D

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yup! :D
in the bike's papers the tire-dimensions are listed. so when a copper stops you or at the bi-yearly inspection it is checked that only the allowed tires sized + the exact load and speed-limit of the tires are okay.
And as if that wouldnt be enough, if you're unlucky the bike has written in its papers something like "tires mandated by the manual" which more or less forces you to only mount the tires that are mentioned in the manual (even if the manual is 20+ years old and the tires aren't made anymore).

that's where tire-manufacturers like Metzeler or Michelin come in. They offer certain papers that show that using Tire X on front and rear are safe for the bike.
Sure you can mount other tires, but during the bi-yearly inspection or if a traffic cop stops you, you'll get in trouble.

Germany recently lifted the mandatory tire-thing, even if it says so in the papers. but only if the bike has been registered under the european union thing from 2000 onwards. So any bike before 2000 that has the tire-thing in the papers, is a bit ****ed (like me).

So I try to make the best out of it by mounting tires that aren't mentioned in the 21 year old manual, but at least the manufacturer has given out papers that say it is safe to do so. (Sadly, Shinko hasn't done this, only the major brands like Michelin, Metzeler, Brudgestone or Avon). And out of these, Avon seems to offer the best rain grip :D
WOW!!!

Reactions: irishrOy

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,865 Posts
Crazy about the regulations on tires over there.

BUT that reminds me of a story when I worked for a German master mechanic many years ago. He lived in Germany this was in the 1940s or 50s probably, and had a girlfriend in another town.
In the spring, he rode his bike over to see her over a curvy mountain road.
He said the road was dry in the sunny areas, but every time he rounded a corner, and it was still shaded it had ice, and he fell down numerous times trying to see his girl.

Now what tires would be legal and suited for that type of riding? :unsure:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont know if this is a rhetorical question or not :D but anyways, i dunno what tires would be legal, but the state laws only often care about legality, not about safety, sadly.
The whole tire-safety-thing is somewhat understandable since we have the Autobahn and the state wants to make sure noone is riding at high speeds with ****ty tires. But other bikes that don't go as fast, get caught up, too, in that tire-scenario, and just adds unnecessary hurdles.
Just because a supersport-bike with 200+HP goes crazy fast, the cruiser-guy has the same legal hurdles to jump over, sadly.

If someone who has an 1100 (or if the dimensions are the same, maybe), could you maybe measure 1-2 things? I can't get to the Shadow at the moment :D
1. The width of the hump where the spokes exit. Rim-tapes have different widths and when I buy a rimtape, want to make sure that it covers the spokes well and sits snugly in the hump.
2. Roughly the height and width of a sqare on the plastic covers below the seat. I want to add stickers, one on each side, and have to know the measurements so my sticker-guy can make them accordingly.

(picture is from a german website, not my bike, nor my dog, sadly :D)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts