Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm in my second rear of riding, found out the tires on the bike were over 11 years old. Still looked good, but surface was hard.

Bought new Michelin's front and back and had them balanced.

On the way to have them changed noticed how they followed every crack and dimple in the road.

Now after the change, feels like a different bike. Seams to stick to the road,
ride much smoother, takes turns like a dream.

This must seam silly to old time riders, but It feels like I took a year or two
more of experience just by changing tires.

Santa came early to my house.

·
Registered
354 Posts
No, not silly. Something I've noticed about the new tread designs. They used to follow the grooves in the highway. The first time I experienced it was in 1976 and it was a true butt puckering moment. After a while I just got used to it. Not that long ago they were still like that. Ribbed treads would follow grooves. riding on a groove-sawn highway was a headache. Now with the newer designs it totally ignores grooves. Much thicker tread, much stronger tires and more stable to boot? Evolution in tire design.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
It's not just you.

I went from an OE Bridgestone G702 rear to a Metzler 888 earlier this year. I'm still using an OE Bridgestone front. I couldn't believe how much of a difference the new rear tire makes. The front still tracks, but the bike actually feels slower with the new rear because of the lack of drama when cornering, accelerating, braking, etc. It just works.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Has it been a month already? 'Cause I swore off tire threads for a month.. ??? ... Ah well..what's one more :)

But yes, it's kinda normal for different types of tires to give you different amounts of traction and a different ride quality.. For me, changing up from a stock Dunlop 404 to a Metzeler 880.. Like you say..

They ride like a completely different bike..

And... If those bikes are better than the ones we had.. It's Allllllll Gooood! ;)

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I notice a big change from worn to new too !!

Worn tires follow the highway imperfections...

I replace in sets, it is a good feel...

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Well I'm in my second rear of riding, found out the tires on the bike were over 11 years old. Still looked good, but surface was hard.

Bought new Michelin's front and back and had them balanced.

On the way to have them changed noticed how they followed every crack and dimple in the road.

Now after the change, feels like a different bike. Seams to stick to the road,
ride much smoother, takes turns like a dream.

This must seam silly to old time riders, but It feels like I took a year or two
more of experience just by changing tires.

Santa came early to my house.
Congrats! New Tires are ALWAYS Nice!

Me, i chose the ME 880's which i do not think there is a finer tire for a motorcycle, been real happy with them so far. Michilen and Pirellis (sp) (parent of Metzeler from acquisition in the eary 90's i believe or thereabouts),
are also excellent Motorcycle tires.

Anyway, Metzeler, originally a German Motorcycle Tire Manufacturer has only
made Motorcycle tires, Motorcycle tires are ALL they do since the late 1800's or early 1900's i believe. Well respected tires by those "in the know" on Motorcycles.

The tread design and the rubber compounds are improving all the time. I am convinced some thread designs handle road snakes better that others.

I am also beginning to believe that some thread designs are better than others when it comes avoiding being punctured by loose road debris (nails, screws etc). I believe that some thread designs are better at pushing debris away as opposed to sucking the debris IN.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
It's all about the quality of the tire whether it be for a cager or cycle.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not only on bikes. i always that way after putting new tires on my car.
Unfortunatly, I haven't ridden long enough, YET, to need to change tires :-D lol

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I like my Michelin Com II on the rear and Metz 880 on the front.
General Altimax HP does well for some also.

But...biggest lesson here is to not wait two years to get to know your tires.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
But yes, it's kinda normal for different types of tires to give you different amounts of traction and a different ride quality.. For me, changing up from a stock Dunlop 404 to a Metzeler 880..
When experiencing a profound improvement in handling after changing tires it should be kept in mind that the vast majority of said improvement is probably due to the fact that old tires are being replaced with new -- not the type or make of the tires themselves. It's really impossible to say that one type of tire is superior to another under these circumstances. In a controlled test new tires of different makes could be usefully compared, but who can afford that or wants to go to that much trouble?

The fact that so many riders swear by so many different brands should stand as proof that there is no definitively superior tire.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
^^^^ .....No, you are right.. I don't think there's one tire that is 'the best' ..but there are likely much better tires for your bike than those you are riding on right now.. The same might be said about my setup too.. Like you say, can't try them all.. We usually find remarkably better and stick with it.

When it comes to tires, I think a lot has to do with how you ride, where you ride, the gross weight of rider and bike, and commonly ridden road surfaces..

There are people who swear by the 404's .. "In their experience... " ... .. And there's nothing wrong with, or discounting their experience...

In My Own Experience though.. I don't believe that it can all be chalked up to new rubber swapping out worn rubber.. In my own experience a better tire has a lot to do with different types of rubber, tire construction and tread patterns..

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the MC II's, but I'm enjoying the Dunlop American Elite's that came on my Vic. Time will tell if I switch to the MC II's down the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
When experiencing a profound improvement in handling after changing tires it should be kept in mind that the vast majority of said improvement is probably due to the fact that old tires are being replaced with new -- not the type or make of the tires themselves.
I FIRMLY believed that when I replaced from my stock Dunlop K177/K555 combo with Dunlop D404s. No question that new tires are better than old.

But then I switched from D404s to Metzeler ME880s and found out the old belief was purely BS. Yes, new tires are better than old. That does not mean they are good. Or even fair. The construction and compounds make a HUGE difference in how a tire performs and on a motorcycle the differences are especially significant. Dunlop D404s are lousy tires. The K177/K555 are only better because they last for about 50% more miles; they still deliver poor handling.

That's not to say that what I like about ME880s is what everyone should like about them. They are NOT best for EVERYONE. We all have unique styles and levels of comfort and each of us should find the tire that comes closest to delivering what we want. BUT THE TYPE AND MAKE OF TIRE ABSOLUTELY MAKES A DIFFERENCE. You are as wrong when you say otherwise just as I was when I said it.

Well I'm in my second rear of riding...
As you get more rides in, you will probably feel comfortable moving up in the pack. That would be good. An experienced rider should always be at the back. :D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
When experiencing a profound improvement in handling after changing tires it should be kept in mind that the vast majority of said improvement is probably due to the fact that old tires are being replaced with new -- not the type or make of the tires themselves. It's really impossible to say that one type of tire is superior to another under these circumstances. In a controlled test new tires of different makes could be usefully compared, but who can afford that or wants to go to that much trouble?

The fact that so many riders swear by so many different brands should stand as proof that there is no definitively superior tire.
I totally disagree with your statement. I replaced set of worn Goodyear tires with new Dunlops and hated them and what they did to handling the bike in corners and rain grooved roads and bridges even after several K miles. Couldn't wait to have enough money saved up to replace them with a better quality tire. MikeB, I believe what you're describing with a change from a worn tire to a new tire, is the mental aspect of the purchaser in the justification of the money spent and expecting an improvement and convincing themselves the money was well spent and they saved some bucks in the process.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the MC II's, but I'm enjoying the Dunlop American Elite's that came on my Vic. Time will tell if I switch to the MC II's down the road.

no offense Theja1 but i probably would have kept my mouth shut if i had Dunlops on my bike. Stayed mute on the subject until i got new tires. :shock: :mrgreen:

just sayin'

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
no offense Theja1 but i probably would have kept my mouth shut if i had Dunlops on my bike. Stayed mute on the subject until i got new tires. :shock: :mrgreen:

just sayin'

You must be under the assumption that Dunlop only makes one tire. Dunlop makes good tires, just not the cheap one Honda buys for their Shadows.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
You must be under the assumption that Dunlop only makes one tire. Dunlop makes good tires, just not the cheap one Honda buys for their Shadows.

i've never had Dunlops but after being on this website for a couple three years its safe to say i will never get a set. I understand they aren't the 404's and that you didn't buy them for the bike. Even you said your next set will be different.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
i've never had Dunlops but after being on this website for a couple three years its safe to say i will never get a set. I understand they aren't the 404's and that you didn't buy them for the bike. Even you said your next set will be different.

If I recall, I said "time will tell" if I switch. These are pretty good tires. The 404's are awful.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts