Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time for a new set of tires, have always replaced with dunlops because I get deceit milage but I would like feedback on others, in particular metzlers..........thanks

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Buy the Metzler 880's probably would have saved your hand had you been wearing them instead of the Dunslicks at the ECR. :wink:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I've always replaced my tires with the stock Dunlops also. I finally took the advice of many forum members and decided to go with a Metzler 880 on the rear. I am very pleased at the results, there is really a difference. Just by changing the rear, the front acts different now. I don't have the little jerk in the handlebars when changing lanes or uneasy handling from uneven pavement. I will be changing the front this season, and I will be going with a Metzler there too. And not only do they handle better, the mileage is supposed to be alot better than the Dunlops, so I think it's a no-brainer. >PD<

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
As long as you are not wanting to go with white walls, the metzelers would be a great choice. I hae seen significantly better traction and wear on them over the Dunlops. Remember, if Metzeler doesn't make your exact tire size, you can select a tire that is a little larger or smaller (diameter the same) then your stock tires.

I am running Avons on the Valk and my only complaint about them is they seem to wander a lot. I am sure it has to do with the size of the bike and the shape of the tire. Hopefully it will stop doing that as they wear down some. I would have gone with Metzelers but I heard that they don't last as long on the big bikes. (Not your problem...just thought someone would find it useful.)

Hope this helps.

Joe

P.S. How did your tag light replacement go?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Many have said how great Metzlers are so I put one on the rear of my bike. I have 1200 miles on it and I find no difference in it than the stock Dunlops. I had 10,000 on the stock with a little tread left (may have gotten 300 to 500 more miles on it). It has a lot less grooves in it so it may get a few more miles. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Just put a Metz on the rear this past fall, Dunlop on the front both wide whitewalls.

I did not get great milage from the Dunlop on the rear, 4 to 5 k was it. The front went twice as long. We'll see how the Metz does, maybe Metz will start making a www for the front in my size.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I put Venoms on my bike because I really hated the Dunlops. For me the issue wasn't so much mileage as handling. The Dunlops I felt just liked to track road imperfections way too much for my liking. I always felt the bike was floating up front.

The Metz vs. Venoms are really close. The Metz is a slighly harder compound and you'll get somewhat better mileage with them over the Venoms. The Venoms in turn are a bit more sticky which is a driving factor for me.

The Metz's last time I looked were costing a bit more money but not enough to make a huge difference. From folks I trust, either tire is an excellent choice and either is IMHO a major improvement over the stock Dunlops.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I doubt that I will do anything other than Metz in the future. Simple enough.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm due tires too. Got about 9k on the stock Dunlop, maybe closer to 10k now. Anyway, going with Metz too. ME 880.

I was thinking of just doing the rear since the tech told me although it's not recommended to have a mismatch, that I wouldn't experience any noticeable difference unless I were to ride in a lot of water. Different tread would behave differently. Otherwise, you can do it. Haven't decided on getting both tires replaced yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put Metz on last July. great tires. I now believe the hype about them. wouldn't change

g

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the advice......looks like the over all opinion here and at the other forum is metzlers......... I had thought of the avon tire too but I think this time around it will be the metzlers....... just some discussion on the dunlops, I have had exceptional milage off the dunlops but when I picked my bike up from vtxrobs this fall my bf and rob both noticed some cracking inbetween the thread , note the both tires have lots of tread but after that stupid rear tire that went out from under me on wet pavement last august and the cracking I think I will try out the metlers....... ride on everyone :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to be different I went with Michelin Commanders on my bike last last year. I really didn't have any problems or complaints with the Dunlaps--I had 8000 miles on them and could have gone a thousand or so more.

I love the Michelins! But then again I get them pretty cheap as an employee. From all I've read though the Metzlers would be a great choice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here's my $.02.
With 20+ years experience behind me, usually at about 8-12k per year, I have used almost exclusively Dunlop tires. They are, for the $, the best value that I have experienced. When I went to replace the stocker at 5500 (please see below) on my '04 Sabre I went with the Dulop Elite 2 touring tire. With white letters 'cause I'm redneck that way. Have about 6k on this one and it barely shows wear, par for the course for most Dunlops I‘ve had. No wiggle, and good grip on the twisties.

Most folks I see here who go with the Metz or Avons are replacing the stock tire (the one that came on the bike or one of the exact same model). To compare the 2 are apples and oranges, of course an 880 or Venom are better than the stock Dunlop that comes on Shadows. Honda buys these in bulk from Dunlop and wants the cheapest tire they can get and that's what you get on the bike out the door. If you go with a better Dunlop, which usually is cheaper than the Metz or the Avon, you get a comparable tire at a better price plus it's made in America. Ok, I see this one coming "the bikes not made in America...". We'll save that one for another post.

It gets old to see everyone here trash Dunlops in general for the cheap stock tire that comes on the bike from Honda.

But in the end it's personal preference, look at 'em, price 'em, smell 'em (I love the smell of new rubber in the morning...smells like...new rubber in the morning) and put on what best suites your taste.

And most importantly, keep that side down...the one with the rubber on it...it‘s very important...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well said hoseppy. I have used Metz's and have been very happy with them, but you post gives me food for thought. Will look into Dunlop's next time.

Ride safe,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Part #?

Does anyone know the correct part #s for the Metz front and rear tires that are appropriate for an '03 Shadow Spirit VT750DC? I did some looking around and found lots of ME880's but none were specifically geared to the VT750DC.

Thanks!
Meri

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
joe kinda funny my dads experiance on his wing is the opposite of yours

sadie you've ridden with me for at least 1k miles all of which were on avons i have over 45k on my spirit and for me the avons are tops in all acounts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I changed both tires at 7,000 miles. The front one was questionable and the rear one was slick. The Metzeler 880s ride, handle and look much better than the Dunlops (in my opinion) and the 200/70-15 rear tire has a greater load-carrying capacity, also. I have almost 2,000 miles on the Metzelers and they aren't showing any signs of wear yet! Lane changes are smooth as silk and I no longer feel the "tar snakes" like before. I'm sold on them!

$0.02 :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK - just for grins lets say I wanted to replace my stock Dunlops (2006 Shadow Aero 750). (Just for grins now - I'm not ready to do that.) I did some fast looking at J&P Cycles and didn't see a Metz 880 in the size I need (forgot what that was off the top of my head right now). What size Metz 880 would be the closest replacement for the stock Dunlops I have?

·
Registered
39 Posts
This place is the best prices I can find for tires give them a look.

http://www.ronayers.com/info/tire_faq.cfm

Metzeler ME880 for my VLX run $213 for the pair, this includes the shipping.

The Avon Venom for my VLX run $206 for the pair, this includes the shipping.

These are the best prices I have found. I can't say how thier customer service and all that is because I haven't ordered anything from them YET.

Hope this helps some people out.

Chad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts