Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get tires for my 2007 Areo 750
I have had Shinzo 77 on last but wondering
What tires other riders have had good luck with.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Whatever route you go, consider Wide Whites.

It'll be like you have a whole new bike!

·
Registered
126 Posts
For a good balance of grip, longevity, & price Bridgestone Exedra Max tires are great. If looking for a sticky budget tire that doesn’t last as long as the Stones, Shinko TourMaster 230‘s are good.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,746 Posts
Shinko, lower mileage but sticky. Pirelli, good mileage and no handling problems in wet or cold. The stock "Dunflop" offerings, no thank you. Not saying there aren't better in their line but the $$$ spent vs Pirelli in performance, IMO not worth it. Also be aware the "R" means radials in the size. The Bridgestone Exedra Max worked well on my 800 lb. Vulcan but on a lighter Shadow's, don't know as a lot manufactures went with harder compounds for wear but ill handling in cold/wet temps. I run Exedra 701/702's radials on the Valk and Avon Cobra's with great success but the Cobra's have been discontinued/replaced by Chrome's. Whatever your choice be prepared for sticker shock. All tires sales come from regional warehouses thus no dealer is going have anything over another other than prices. Usually a 2 day wait to your back door but with the Kung Foo, don't be surprised of availability, etc.

·
Registered
18,248 Posts
Whatever fits your pocketbook is good for me...

I`ve tried several, brand$$$ = > I even went with Darkside & Double Darkside ;)
I just recently returned back to MC tires this "Go Round" ;)

I keep returning to Pirelli MT66 Route as my "Drug of Choice"...
I get 14,000+ miles regularly,
Dennis

Riding in 2022

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I only got 10k out of the factory Dunlops. Put a Kenda Kruz on the rear and got around 19k out of it. Good riding tire and I had no problems dry or wet. When I put the Kenda in the rear I also put a Bridgestone Batlax rear m/c tire on the front, it now has about 21k on it and has been a good tire. It looks like it is starting to “cup”, so may be changing it soon.

When I installed these tires I also installed balance beads and increased the air pressure up to R=36 / F=32. Both of which I think helped with longevity.

I replaced the rear tire with a Shinko 777. Only a thousand or so miles on it so far but seems like a good tire so far. When the front Bridgestone wears out I will be putting a 777 on.

Might try Shinko 230’s or Pirelly’s (SP) after that.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Premium Member
1994 GL1500SE Goldwing
1,015 Posts
I had a MT66 Route on my front (was darkside in the back) and while I only had it for 4,000 miles, it was a much better tire ride and grip wise than the Dunlop 404 it replaced.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,309 Posts
I tried many brands and models and for my riding style and climate I did not find much difference. Usually the trade-off in tires is traction vs long-life so if you are a relaxed rider long-life may be a better solution. (Lets face it - these are cruisers so no one really needs a "sticky" tire). I ended up just going back to the factory recommended tire and they are lasting a long time.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The only thing I won't run is a Dunlop Elite III radial. Damn thing howled so bad from Day 1 that I came back from my test ride and pulled the rear wheel to see what I had done wrong. I'm convinced it had slipped belts in it when new. It howled, and after a long ride, was too hot to touch. . Dunflop would do nothing. said call your dealer and pay them to troubleshoot. Dealer would do nothing, referred me to Dunlop. took it off half worn out and threw it away as I couldn't stand the howl any longer. Last Dunlop I'll own.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
246 Posts
Pirelli MT66 on my 86 VT700C. Excellent ride in wet and dry conditions. Used balance beads,happy with ride at hiway speeds. It's a cruiser not a sport bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Metzler me888 - mileage going well, now at 5000 no noticable wear, plenty sticky
Dunlop 404 were horrible - worn out after 7000 miles; I fond them to be slippery as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts