Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found an 80's vt750 for cheap its a quarter of what I payed for my ACE, it's been stored indoors for a long time, it looks really nice, I'm trying to decide if I am going to buy it, get it running and roadworthy and flip it for a profit, but I have a problem, when I buy something and it's nice I don't want to get rid of it because it grows on me. Ugh I hate being me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just found an 80's vt750 for cheap its a quarter of what I payed for my ACE, it's been stored indoors for a long time, it looks really nice, I'm trying to decide if I am going to buy it, get it running and roadworthy and flip it for a profit, but I have a problem, when I buy something and it's nice I don't want to get rid of it because it grows on me. Ugh I hate being me.
I don't think that bike would be worth much after you fix it up. Tires and battery are pretty much a given. I see old bikes like that for sale around here as retro bikes but they don't seem to sell for long periods of time or anywhere near the original asking price.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have an '85 Shadow VT 700 that I have invested so much time in restoring that one of my friends calls it my "Honda Goldplate". One of the time investments was 8 hours of machine shop time, with a good friend's donated skillful help, flat milling a new set of piston rings to make Daiwu LeMans 1500cc rings fit in the lands of the 700's pistons (1mm off each ring, .0005" slow milling each pass). We rebuilt the engine to "0-time" a little over a year ago. In good conscience I can never sell, wreck, or drop this bike even though there is still a bit of cosmetic work to make it "perfect". I fully understand your quandary! This is man-machine codependency, but what can I say? I'm in love!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It'll spank the **** out of your A.C.E.
Very true it will do that to most Honda V-twin cruisers.
Kind of a different animal.
The ACE is IMO a more relaxed comfortable ride and the performance differential can be fixed, although that too changes the very nature of the animal.

If you want the 80's VT750 and will ride it, have the space to store it and money to run it there is no reason not to buy it.
It is not as if you are not aware of the drawbacks of owning a 35 year old bike with potential OEM replacement parts shortages.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If the bike was stored properly and maintained then it may be worth something. If not it is worth nothing. You mention profit. Whats the cost?

·
Registered
547 Posts
BTW that bike is from a time period when I rode those types of bikes. I favored Yamaha in those days. At the time they were much better then what came before them, hands down. Compared to more modern bikes there really isn't a reason to buy one of those. That's as far as to sell it. If that's what you like go a head, if I lived up North with a long winter I might completely break down a bike like that and totally rebuild it. I can ride year round so spending months on rebuilding an old bike isn't that attractive to me. Actually July and August is when I'm more likely to work on a bike. A ride on a bike is like riding into a hairdryer during those months.

I'm just wonder who would buy the bike for more then a thousand? I just don't see a buyer out there. I see many young guys who would buy one of those bikes in good shape cheap as in $500 but that crowd isn't going to spend much money, they're just looking for a decent ride. I wouldn't be surprised with a little basic work and that bike will run well. A guy like me isn't going to buy that bike, I know exactly what it is but I've moved on.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm having an adult moment, and I've decided to forget about the bike, I have more important things to spend the $650 on, like my car is needing a head gasket and closer to spring I'm putting a new engine and transmission in my truck, I have difficulty with impulse buying.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I think that's a wise decision especially if you were looking for profit from a non-running older bike.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Motorcycles can be money pits.I buy what I want and now have four vehicles plus three bikes, at least all paid for with four with antique tags,no more tag or inspection fees on them just insurance and maintenance.Still working on a 1930 Ford model A coupe , into $8000 on it, at least it's not mine.Retired for 11 years and single helps a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts