Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 83 Shadow that has been really good to me in the past. She sat for a little while (2yrs or so) after some phantom electrical problem I had and I was distracted by my 70 CB750... But, now I have her running again and she feels great just like old times. A few years back I rode this bike from Orange County to San Fran and back, what a disaster (I was younger, dumber, and very unprepared for what lay ahead of me), but I made it, freezing cold and numb as can be with little to no hearing left.. Hell, in hindsight it was actually really fun.

Anyway, my CB is going to need some major repairs so I'm back on the Shadow. So far I have stripped the ugly(to me) purple/maroon/whatever color paint and removed the front fender as well as the mufflers (damn it sounds amazing unplugged!). My dilema is this: I really like the bobber look, and that fat rear tire looks amazing if you free it of that fender, BUT I enjoy occasionally riding with my girl and the current King/Queen stock seats make it comfy and easy to ride with her or gear. I want to do something to the rear end, but I'm not sure what. I love the bobbed look, but want to keep riding with a passenger and not sacrifice too much on comfort. What have any of you done with customizing your shadows? Anyone felt a similar game of tug-o-war with their bikes?

Maybe if I make a smaller rear fender and shrink up the seats a bit I can achieve the look I'm going for, I dunno, I'm curious what you all think. Thanks in advance for checking out the thread.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
looking a the bare frame from my donor it seems to me that you could make a dual purpose / swappable rear. it would take some creative engineering and some extra parts but if you don't cut the stock fender you might get away with it. I wouldn't bobber mine due to the hassles of hiding the spark boxes. I can only find room to hide one without removing something somewhere. I did consider cutting a hole in the drivers seat for this.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Chop it!!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I wouldn't bobber mine due to the hassles of hiding the spark boxes. I can only find room to hide one without removing something somewhere. I did consider cutting a hole in the drivers seat for this.
that is the crux of my dismay, I am getting ready to do some chopping on mine I am not sure I want to remove the stock air box because that is notorious on the vt700c for making it damned near impossible to tune right even after jetting. but I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
one box tucked into the side where the relays are on the petcock side, then carve a box size hole in the bottom of the seat. that's the only thing I could see cause I wouldn't even consider changing the air intake system. it's times like this I miss my old Honda in line fours.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
one box tucked into the side where the relays are on the petcock side, then carve a box size hole in the bottom of the seat. that's the only thing I could see cause I wouldn't even consider changing the air intake system. it's times like this I miss my old Honda in line fours.
I'm thinking since I have to modify the rear fender drastically anyhow I might make a custom box to slide em into. or a drop box since I am moving the seat back there should be more room behind the spare tank and under the seat... we'll see.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about removing the spare tank all together? That'd open up some space to move those electronics around...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a couple pictures of how my bike looks currently:

I am going to remove the hideous turn signals once the aftermarket LED ones I ordered arrive. I bought new handlebars, but I'm pretty sure I got the wrong size ($10 at swap meet) and wont fit the switch assemblies, besides, I kinda like the stock bars when you remove the mirrors, I gotta find some mirrors that are smaller unlike the elephant ears that come stock... maybe bar end mirrors???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What about removing the spare tank all together? That'd open up some space to move those electronics around...
considered that but I like having the extra range the spare tank provides. still up in the air over it. if I cant figure something else out thats a very real solution.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of how my bike looks currently:

I am going to remove the hideous turn signals once the aftermarket LED ones I ordered arrive.
Make sure the leds will work with your relay you may need to change the relay for the blinkers since the LEDs power is totally different.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Make sure the leds will work with your relay you may need to change the relay for the blinkers since the LEDs power is totally different.
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't considered that. That will be something I need to consider when they get here. If it doesn't work with the stock relay, what do you suggest for a replacement?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I say chop, but then again I'm partial to chops lol.
Razor, I like what you've done to your bike. What did you use for a rear fender? Are you still riding on the bare seat pan? Is that hard tailed with no springer seat?! Your vid was a little difficult to tell. I like the tank mounted speedo, I wanna do the same to mine. Great looking bike.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bob it, chop it, whatever you wanna call it....

Resisting the urge is futile...

I have been thinkin non stop about gutting and changing my stock exhaust to straight pipes.... Finally did it yesterday...turned out great, pissed that I waffled about doing it for so long....

If you want to mod it, go for it.... There are very few bikes on the road now that are factory original. That is the great thing about it... You start with OEM and change it, to make it your own...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Razor, I like what you've done to your bike. What did you use for a rear fender? Are you still riding on the bare seat pan? Is that hard tailed with no springer seat?! Your vid was a little difficult to tell. I like the tank mounted speedo, I wanna do the same to mine. Great looking bike.
Yep still riding on a solid bare seat pan and rigid frame. The rear fender is just a trailer fender and the speedo was removed a while back. I just use the GPS on my phone as a speedo heh. Thanks for the compliment.
I still say chop, but stock looks good as well :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts