Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started riding my '03 Shadow ACE I was concerned with being slightly off balance when stopped. After riding it for a few weeks I am more comfortable and don't think it is going to be a big an issue. My husband still thinks we should lower it because "you may find uneven patches of road that will make that 1 inch more like 1 1/2 inches".

Has anyone else had this concern?

Thanks,

Beth

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,506 Posts
If you lower it the suspension will be different and you may not like the ride. Maybe a different seat to sit lower would be an easy alternative with nothing altered on the suspension.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
When I first started riding my '03 Shadow ACE I was concerned with being slightly off balance when stopped. After riding it for a few weeks I am more comfortable and don't think it is going to be a big an issue. My husband still thinks we should lower it because "you may find uneven patches of road that will make that 1 inch more like 1 1/2 inches".

Thanks,

Beth
Whenever I see threads about lowering, I always think about the minimal ground clearance these bikes have already. There have been threads about broken crankcases on these bikes, and lowering just increases the possibility of bottoming out. One that comes to mind was of a fellow hitting a raised underground tank cover in a service station lot and I don't think he was even lowered. I wouldn't do it unless it was absolutely necessary. JMHO

·
Registered
878 Posts
Try adjusting the rear shocks. When I adjusted mine for 2 up riding, it seemed to adjust the height slightly...or is it all in my mind?...can't hurt to give it a try...

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
My advice.. Just pay attention to the road and where you stop, and prepare yourself for poor road conditions.. You wouldn't stop on glass or - if you have a choice - a manhole cover in the rain.. Being of short stature myself with a preference for big and tall bikes, I can tell you that even road camber can play it's part, and require me to put the opposite foot down than I usually would when coming to a stop.

Being short is not an insurmountable thing when riding bikes, but it just requires you to pay greater mind, and adjust your priorities and considerations sometimes..

The problem with lowering your bike, as I see it, is that it reduces it's capabilities.. For example, not only does it require that you avoid going up steep curbs or over more pronounced speedbumps, it doesn't change the fact that there will always be deeper depressions and potholes, as well as more pronounced road cambers that you'll need to watch out for anyway... You don't get rid of any of these things by adjusting your bike, you learn to compensate for those things by better avoiding them, or prepearing yourself for them when you can't (slipping a cheek to the left when you need to make your left leg longer (for example :)).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try the shock thing like @Damon78 said. Mine is adjusted like that for my stumpy 26" inseam. ?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
You might take a look at how high sportbikes riders sit in the saddle. They seem to adjust themselves to their bikes when stopped, but study their techniques.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,506 Posts
It looks to me that your seat is taller/ thicker than many photos of the same bike. Maybe a stock seat will do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts

Thanks,

Beth
Hi Beth...I am also Beth!

Is that a Mustang Wide Touring seat? After adding one of those to my bike, it raised me up about an inch. I'm not saying you should put the stock seat back on, but maybe look into another premium seat that isn't so wide. Some seats are even more low profile (Saddleman?) and may give you a couple of inches to work with. What are you wearing on your feet? Getting some footwear with aggressive tread and a 2 inch heel might also give just that little extra that you are looking for.

Welcome to the club!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts