Honda Shadow Forums banner

Shield or Full Faced Helmet

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I need some opinions:-D So, I am toying with putting a switchblade windshield on my bike (I don't want it on there most of the time), but the more I think about it, I don't know whether or not I should just buy a full faced helmet to use for those times I would use the windshield. The wind has never bothered me, it's more the chill & early morning bugs (I ride past a lot of farm land & open fields). The shield would cost about $340 total with mounting. I could certainly find a nice helmet to my liking for less & have extra money to toy with. However, I've never had a full faced helmet & don't know if I would like being "closed in" for an extended amount of time. On top of all that, I'm just not sure a shield would look right on my bike. So, give me your opinions please!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i hate windshields will never have one sorry just my opinion get the helmet

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Not exactly because of the look of the bike. I just prefer riding without a shield. I use any kind of helmet but when I wear my 1/2 helmet I wear riding glasses with foam around the frame that protects my eyes from the wind.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
you don;t have to spend so much on a shield if you don't want. I have a
nice little shield that I use in the cooler months and I slap it on for long treks in the summer to keep down wind fatigue. mine cost $50. mounts/removes in less than 2 minutes. looks nice when mounted.

it's a nice accessory to have at times. didn't break the bank and works very well.

you can kinds of see it here:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I hate the look of windshields most of the time, especially on bikes that have less fender. But I can't argue how nice they are to have in cold weather, in rain, or while on long-distance road trips.

I'd go with the helmet though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you don;t have to spend so much on a shield if you don't want. I have a
nice little shield that I use in the cooler months and I slap it on for long treks in the summer to keep down wind fatigue. mine cost $50. mounts/removes in less than 2 minutes. looks nice when mounted.

it's a nice accessory to have at times. didn't break the bank and works very well.

you can kinds of see it here:

How much hardware does this leave on your bike when the shield is off...& is all the hardware left chrome? Thanks for the info btw

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
How much hardware does this leave on your bike when the shield is off...& is all the hardware left chrome? Thanks for the info btw
nothing is left.

it's just 2 mounts like this w/ 2 allen wrench bolts on each side.

here's a closeup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nothing is left.

it's just 2 mounts like this w/ 2 allen wrench bolts on each side.

here's a closeup:
Thanks Hal...I appreciate that. Maybe I'll go with one of these cheaper shields for the "must have" days & get a full face helmet too!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I voted against the shield, that being said, I am pretty sure we will put one on the Shadow. I have a small "dart fly screen" on my Triumph, not enough to actually call a windshield, but it does help direct the wind up to my shoulders to help with the fatigue of the clip ons on longer trips.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I used to ride all the time without a windshield. Then I rode a bike where the shield was just tall enough so that I could look over the top and had good lowers to prevent buffeting. Won't ride without one now. Makes the ride so much more enjoyable especially in the winter.

By the way. I made a windshield and lowers for my Shadow 1100 for a little over $20. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pictures. It's not really fancy but it gets the job done and doesn't look half bad.

sanoke

·
Registered
134 Posts
For me it would be a form over function aspect....I think some bikes look good with them on....but then again...there are some bikes I would never want to have a windshield on it.

Also, I don't ride my bike everyday like some people do to work & back. I guess if I was a commuter I would definitely want to have one.....but if I just ride on the weekends for a few hours....I say no shield !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For me it would be a form over function aspect....I think some bikes look good with them on....but then again...there are some bikes I would never want to have a windshield on it.

Also, I don't ride my bike everyday like some people do to work & back. I guess if I was a commuter I would definitely want to have one.....but if I just ride on the weekends for a few hours....I say no shield !
I kinda feel the same way in regards to form over function...I always want it to look good. Like I said, I've never had an issue dealing with the wind/buffeting, so that's what has me stuck. If I can find a good, comfortable helmet for $200 or less, then I think I'll buy that cheaper shield & the helmet; using the shield for only the long long trips

1 - 20 of 40 Posts