Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank goodness the first night is classroom instruction.

It's pouring here!

Next session is Sunday morning and there is a chance of showers. Next week Friday & Sunday look clear so far. Keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking forward to the course. I'm going with my 23 year old son. He's a wise ass and likes to pick on me, so it ought to be interesting.

I would like my license so I don't have to worry about getting home before dark. I take an evening class at college - 5 minutes away - but I don't get out of class until after 8:30.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have fun in class - i learned a lot there and the riding coaches we so positive and supportive.

And when its all done...your free to ride! :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
good luck with your class
in my opinion i think they should(if they dont already) have the course even if it is raining,,i mean,one time out ridin eventually a person will be caught in a rain shower and will have to ride..so what better time to learn to ride on wet pavement then in a controlled enviroment...when i 1st started drivin truck over the road..we had to take a truck without a trailer,aka bobtail and do an obstacle course on a skidpad, as well as we had to do it with a trailer attached and i learned alot on that skidpad in a controlled situation b4 goin out in the real world..i think everyone who drives a vehicle when they 1st get their license should have to do somethin like this or drive in all seasons,snow,ice,rain,etc,,b4 gettin their license..i think people esp young drivers would learn alot and may be less wrecks involvin new drivers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I remember taking my MSF in about 100 degrees with the long-sleeves, full gloves, jeans, helmet, boots...and spending most of Saturday and half of Sunday on the pavement of the local community college and sweating my hind-end off! Best weekend I spent in a long time! Only better time was overseas, wearing HEAVY chemical warfare suit and mask, rubber boots and rubber gloves, playing softball to prove we could perform/work dressed up like that. But I digress. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Having taken the course in Pa as well I can tell you the riding portion will happen rain or shine. Definitely make sure you take lots of fluids with you (it was in the 90's when I took it). I was actually disappointed a little that it didn't rain (as the forecast threatened) but then again so was half the class I was with!

I found this site to be helpful in learning to watch and recognizing things happening: Rider Perception

Its listed on the Pa MSP website btw :)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
We did the testing in the rain. The only concern was dropping the bike during the test because if that happens you fail the test. My 15 year old daughter was the speed demon during the test which was a combination of "no fear" plus "no experience" on two wheels. We both did fine but she was faster. I aced the written so we called it a draw.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We purposely scheduled our classes for the end of September so we weren't doing the 90 degree days on a black parking lot.

I don't mind a little rain - but I don't want to be in a heavy rain for 4 hours :mrgreen:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here in WA, they hold MSF class rain or shine.

One of my co-workers was telling another co-worker about an auto driving course offered that uses a skid pad as part of the training. He and his kids like to ski, so the family took the course in prep for winter driving. I believe it is held over in Oregon somewhere.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My MSF class was a blast... first day all geared up we were roasting, second day, with the testing, was cold and raining. Good times, good learning, good instructors. Have a blast, it's all good whether you're a newbie, a returning rider or someone who's ridden forever and just decided to take the course. Bucks well spent, whichever :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have fun, I just completed the course as well. Since then I have been dividing my time between fixing random issues with the bike and riding every other second. Don't hit the front break during a turn in the rain. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.