Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, being a new street rider I want to be as safe as possible. I bought a hi-viz jacket & matching gloves. When I showed it to my neighbor, who has ridden for a very long time, he laughed at me. One of his teenage kids even laughed. Riding for several weeks now I have fallen in love with this jacket. It's made by firstgear and keeps me really warm. I find that I even wear it when I'm not riding just because it is so comfortable and warm. I felt bad that they laughed at me. I thought I made a bad purchase. Does anybody else wear Hi-viz stuff or is it just me? My helmet is flat black to match my Phantom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, I must admit I had to wear sunglasses to view the image. It IS that bright. But that's what it's for.

And as most on this forum will tell you, "Ride your own ride!"

Be safe ( with or without the dayglo ) and welcome to the forum. ;-)

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Welcome,

I have a Joe Rocket hi-vis jacket I sometimes wear. I also bought it right after I started riding after a 20 some year break.
My routine is when it is real cold, I am in leather jacket, extreme cold, add the First Gear one piece suit to that. Spring and fall I wear my Hi-vis with the waterproof liner to break the wind. Early and late summer, Hi-vis without the liner. It has more holes in it than a screen door.
In the heat of the summer, you may see me in a vest, but most likely just a tee shirt. I dress for comfort first.
Ride with what you feel comfortable in whether it be for the weather or to help your peace of mind. Just remember, you have to ride as if you are invisible at ALL times.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wear what you want to wear, ride what you want to ride, go where you want to go. What other people think about it is irrelevant. And if a cager looks at you and thinks "Really, dude?" he at least sees you. Do what you feel you need to do to prevent a crash.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That's one of the reasons I painted my bike bright white, maybe some of the idiots will see me, that's if their not looking down texting. Whatever it takes to come home in one piece.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
One of my helmets has a red light ring around it. As has already been said, ride your own ride, enjoy it and make no apologies!
[/IMG]

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
If you want to be as safe as possible, you might want to rethink the whole riding a motorcycle thing. Past that, if you care what others think of you maybe you should get some clothes that they can approve of.

Me, I stopped caring what people think of me like 40 years ago...

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
I wear the same basic jacket. I bought it for two reasons.
First for protection/being seen! Second it is cooler in the summer than wearing black.
Gat is right, forget what they say, make yourself happy! And if you are that worried about safety maybe you should not ride. Me, I take all the precautions, but I am ready sprirtually, mentally and physically for whatever is thrown my way. I ride because I want to and because I can!

·
Registered
82 Posts
wear what you want

I just don't listen to other peoples sayings, if I am wearing good gear,
that is for me and for nobody else.
ride safe..bro jimmy8)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm still amazed at how many people pull out in front of me wearing hi-viz stuff. It was an eye opener.

The truth is that hi-vis works to alert those drivers who are actively looking, which is fewer and fewer these days. Look at how many road workers are hit each year wearing hi-vis clothing. But it still does it's job. Think of it as a supplement to developing safe riding strategies and habits which is where the basis of safety lies.

As to your neighbor and others, don't let them bother you a bit. There are many experienced riders who go hi-vis and many who don't. Since riding is about being who you are and not who others are, wear what you want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wear a First Gear green hi viz winter jacket for commuting. I wind up commuting in the dark most of the time in the winter. Wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The truth is that hi-vis works to alert those drivers who are actively looking, which is fewer and fewer these days. Look at how many road workers are hit each year wearing hi-vis clothing. But it still does it's job. Think of it as a supplement to developing safe riding strategies and habits which is where the basis of safety lies.

As to your neighbor and others, don't let them bother you a bit. There are many experienced riders who go hi-vis and many who don't. Since riding is about being who you are and not who others are, wear what you want.
Dave's got it! Besides that, you're the one on a sweet ass motorcycle so yuk it up teenage neighbor; bike trumps no bike.

If you really want to push it, get some marginally illegal pipes and do donuts in the neighbor's lawn.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
My outer layer preferences run from denim to leather depending on the weather and temps. The only textile type gear I own is my gore tex 2 piece rain suit. Like others said wear what you like.
btw the leather jacket I have doesn't come in or hasn't been found in anything but brown, had one since 95. Got and later gave away (hsn christmas giveaway) my brown chaps that weight loss cause to be like a flag in the wind. My new chaps are black,,looks odd brown jacket, black chaps, but hey, I ride my own way.

The big important factor is to ride as though you are surrounded by the blind. Be safe as you can be in the manner of your own choosing.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Me too

I wear a hi-vis Icon Hooligan 2 mesh jacket in the summer. Cool (temp) and cool (looking). I wear brown (not black) leather in the winter. I also have three helmets - all are white. Every little bit helps.

I am past the stage where I worry about what others think. It's their problem, not mine. They are controlled by others by their slavery to conform to what others think and to "so-called fashion".

·
Registered
503 Posts
sometimes i see a guy dressed in things that are way brighter than i would wear and i think to myself "well, if it works for him"
no hate for the visibility crew

1 - 20 of 35 Posts