Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in the town of Canada (central interior BC) it is -31°C (-41°c if you believe in wind chill) and I am in my shop ready to start the week. Its a wood heated shop with electric heated floors so its +10°c inside which is not ideal but not unmanageable. Both of my employees have sent me texts ( not even a phone call) that they are not coming in today because its "too cold". This is whats wrong with the youth today. Never in my life have I called in due to cold. Never even crossed my mind. Would you call in? Am I expecting too much?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Too lazy to do the calculations, but I don;t believe there is any temp that is "too cold" to be able to come to work. Like you said, wouldn't even cross my mind. How replaceable are these employees?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they weren't replaceable they'd be here with me right now. For the none celcius crowd -31°c = -24°f : -41°c = -41°f
We're Canadian, this is normal winter weather. Nothing close to record breaking or even unusual for this time of year.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I fire people for being 5 mins late....

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Supposed to be -40 C/-40 F here in the prairies tomorrow and Wednesday, that's with no wind. I despise the cold and hate winter. Another week of this deep freeze before any change.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never been in the prairies when theres no wind. Lol It gets ridiculously cold over there in the flat lands. My daughter is in Grande Prairie and their weather makes the weather here seem like a tropical vacation.
Supposed to be -40 C/-40 F here in the prairies tomorrow and Wednesday, that's with no wind. I despise the cold and hate winter. Another week of this deep freeze before any change.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I am about 320 miles south of Kris in Vancouver Canada. Same province different weather. Here we get snow for about 2 weeks a year. We got our first snow yesterday. Currently its about 28F and about 2 inches of snow so no one went to work and half the facilities closed. The problem being it snows so seldom that no one has snow tires or can drive in snow. Especially the SUV 4 wheel drive moms.

I really noticed a change of work attitude in the last 10 years. I have had new employees just not show up if they didn't like the work after a few weeks. No phone call just never came in again. I found out they took another job or back to their old one. Apparently that's common now.

G.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Grew up in Prince Albert Sask....lived in La Ronge and even as far as Uranium City Sk....Nothing like going to the movies and coming out to a totally frozen truck..praying it would turn over...sitting in rock solid, frozen seats,lol miss those days. It could be -30c and as long as there was no wind, we would be outside playing street hockey or at the out door rink. Lived in Nicaragua for a few years...went for +40c one day..flew to Saskatoon and it was -40c....Didnt spend too much time outside then.

·
Registered
16,502 Posts
I`ve found MANY excuses for Not going to Work, BUT Too Cold isn`t one of them ;)
Todays` society is MUCH different from my way of thinking!
I reckon they`re just not interested in making it in the real world, but want their "Entitlements"...

Parenting is NOT up to par anymore,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I get not wanting to go to work because of snow on the roads, though personally I believe if you live in an area prone to snow such as where I live, one should be prepared. Too cold though just blows my mind. Back when I worked as a trainer at the special forces compound I dreaded coming to work on occasion because of frigid and lousy weather, but I was also working outside in it all day long. Who cares what the weather is like if you are working inside and the HVAC systems work. Different people and different ways of looking at the same thing I guess. @Kris Carr , did you get anything figured out when your people came in to work, or have they yet?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I let them both go today when they texted me with the same lame excuse. Now at least im alone by my own choice. Get to spend the afternoon looking through resumes

·
Registered
16,502 Posts
I reckon, Those folks are back to "Looking for a job when I found this one" Now...
I believe I`da done the same @Kris Carr ...
Too Cold to RIDE???
NAAH!!!
Dennis

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id bet anything that if it was the weekend and their buddies wanted to go snowmobiling it wouldnt be too cold. Wonder if its too cold to go find a new job

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
You guys up there are freakin bananas! No way in hell would I live where winters are that harsh. I've worked outside in the teens with my hands in solvent and steel toe boots and that crap sucks! But the only way I don't go to work is if I'm in a hospital bed. These candy ass little kids don't have clue what work ethic is! I have a married couple that work for me. He came on a year or so after her and she's more of a man than he is! Good workers are hard to find.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I had offices in Phoenix and Saskatoon that I visited about 3 times a year. Leave Vancouver on a nice sunny 50F. Saskatoon -40F. From the airport terminal, run to the rental car and turn on heater and run back to the airport and wait. Next fly to Phoenix. 80F. From airport terminal, run to rental car, turn on A/C and run back to terminal and wait.

In Saskatoon the frozen rental car was a new experience for me: Other than scrape, scrape, scrape all the windows and let it warm up if it started (our office kept one car running all day) once you got in the seats were rock hard and did you did not sit in, you sat on. Next the door lock was froze and the door would not close so I had to hold the door closed driving to the airport. But I still went and survived.

G.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I had offices in Phoenix and Saskatoon that I visited about 3 times a year. Leave Vancouver on a nice sunny 50F. Saskatoon -40F. From the airport terminal, run to the rental car and turn on heater and run back to the airport and wait. Next fly to Phoenix. 80F. From airport terminal, run to rental car, turn on A/C and run back to terminal and wait.

In Saskatoon the frozen rental car was a new experience for me: Other than scrape, scrape, scrape all the windows and let it warm up if it started (our office kept one car running all day) once you got in the seats were rock hard and did you did not sit in, you sat on. Next the door lock was froze and the door would not close so I had to hold the door closed driving to the airport. But I still went and survived.

G.
My bosses brother lives in Edmonton. Says it's -39 C. Buurrrr!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts