Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
holy crap! According to my miscalculations, that's kinda cold. Don't imagine any of you guys are driving diesels eh? On a different note, are pellet stoves fairly popular up there? @Kris Carr what kind of work do you do?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I run an autobody shop. My business partner has a diesel ford super duty which blew an oil seal yesterday when he started it. Pellet stoves are getting more popular around here but not nearly big enough to heat my shop. The furnace I use burns 3 foot logs. The fire heats a tank containing water and glycol. That water runs through insulated underground pipe to heat exchangers inside my shop. The furnace itself is about the size of a garden shed. When its cold like this I burn a whole tree a day. Luckily I am surrounded by acres of trees. Unfortunately the pump that moves the water died so the heat is not making it into the shop. The electric in floor heat only does so much so right now its about -5°c in my shop.

·
Registered
16,409 Posts
I ain`t lit a fire this week!!!
I`m reading 64 degrees outside temperature :D

It Ain`t Cold! But it IS Wet,
Dennis

·
Registered
882 Posts
Below freezing temps I would say is too cold to work. Your hands and toes will have to keep being thawed to do anything. I work outside but I am in Texas. I usually wrap up to where only my eyes are seen but safety glasses keep the wind out of your eyes. I have to fight keeping the fog off the glasses on really cold days. Dressing completely covered I have been able to ride my bike in colder temps. I know humidity does make a big difference. I was in Wyoming at -20 F one winter and it didn't feel as bad a 32 F in Texas. I just figured Texas cold was more uncomfortable but watch out in Wyoming because it could sneak up on you and freeze body parts or kill you while you didn't feel it. That's a lot of cold weather to work in but congrats on getting that heater going.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Prety much all of my cold weather gear is designed for hunting or athletics. Works great for those activities but I'd freeze to death just sitting around in them or trying to ride my bike. It's amazing the cold protection provided by UnderArmor and the like.

·
Registered
16,409 Posts
Y
My dad gave me an old snowsuit before he passed. Its got to be at least 20 years old and ugly as **** but I spent the better part of two days outside in -35 to -40 weather and was never cold once. In fact at some points I was sweating. Proper gear makes all the difference
Yeah @Kris Carr I bought a snowsuit while working in Tupelo, MS in the mid 80`d, I still wear it whenever I ride in COLD weather...I had never worked nor played in snow before, so I needed a snowsuit...
BUT > I rode today @74 degrees, then after the sun went down, rode home @ 54 degrees...
Yeah I had a jacket on :D
Dennis

·
Registered
527 Posts
soo true

·
Registered
527 Posts
I feel bad for my sisters..Kamloops and Calgary.....really hate sending them emails this week about riding into work,lol Weather here in Maryland is odd....can be cool...get a bit of snow,then back in the teens (Celsius) again.....Suppose snow tomorrow...less than an inch, but people here dont know how to drive in any type of moisture.....I shouldn't say that, majority do well, but there seems to be a few more morons who ruin it for others,lol

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
A balmy 3 degrees (F) above 0 but the wind died down some but was about -15 windchill last night.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts