Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place for this.

Hello all!!! Absolute noob here.

I got a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 for $800. Only 3848 miles on it but it sat for three years. Took it to the shop and got the carburetor rebuilt, new gaskets, etc. $1,300. So, everything is like new. Rode it for about an hour in the neighborhood and did well with it. I did not break 20 mph though. I am riding my own ride.

Later that day I over filled the tank with gas (there is a longer story to this but still my mistake). Me and the wife rode after filling no problems. The next day the wife and I are going to ride again. She rode first and noticed it backfired twice. She gets done and now the bike has ridden for 6 miles since overfilling. I start it and then the problems start. It acts like it ran out of gas or will not start. Looking on the internet I find that this is normal for overfilling the tank. I am also led to believe the small puddle of gas under it this morning is normal.

I read a post of someone who has done this and while driving home the bike would stall and he would have to pull the choke to start it, ride a mile, stall repeat. Eventually though the problem did correct itself. My plan is just to start it and idle until it stalls. Repeat this until the problem corrects itself. If I can finagle the key out of the gas cap while the gas cap is off, I am led to believe that would help. Would this work?

Failing this my perusing of the internet has suggested pulling out the breather tube and letting it sit for awhile to dry out. Replace the tube and start the bike. Is this correct? If so, is there a place on the internet that shows how to do this? I cannot find one.

Now on to my choke. It appears my plunger choke will not come out all the way. The images below is as far as it will come out. I know under the rubber grommet there is a “dial” that should turn. I cannot get it to turn at all. I do not want to use pliers and brake it. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you all!!!

30784.jpeg

·
Registered
232 Posts
" I am also led to believe the small puddle of gas under it this morning is normal. "
Not normal, get into the habit of turning off the gas (petcock) at the end of every ride, turn it to the off position.

That choke knob looks canted in the bracket in the pics and happened when the mechanic worked on it.
That choke issue was a result of your recent service, take it back and have them fix it.

As for the tank over fill, why not pull off the fuel line from the petcock, turn it to reserve and drain out that overfill rather than trying to burn it off.
You may need to attach a piece of fuel line to the petcock and the other end into a container to catch the gas.
jmo,
:D

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,539 Posts
Overfilling: it is possible you overfilled to the point the fuel tank cannot vent so as fuel is used a vacuum occurs. The solution is to pop open the gas cap, then close and within a few miles you should be OK because the vent is high in the "necK".

It is possible that small puddle is from overfilling. The gas station will have had a bigger puddle,
At idle it will take a long time to clear the vent. Choke on should not do much.

Pulling breather tube is incorrect. If the choke is operating correctly dont worry but if you are then I would visit the mechanic who has your $1300 and ask to adjust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts