Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Finally had a day off work today so I took a short ride up Hwy 74 from Palm Desert, CA (where I live). I only went so far as the second Vista Point, which is about 12 miles up the mountain. Being that it was my first time riding up Hwy 74, it was pretty scary at first but once I got used to it, I had some fun. I took my Cortech tank bag with me which held my digicam, couple bottles of water, and my cell phone. Comments about the pictures are appreciated, so here they are:

Thanks for checking this out!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I love the looks of the road to the top. It must have been a ball.
I like the pictures on this forum that have some portion of their scooter in the frame.
I usually try to capture my mirror, so that you get two different angles in the photo. Or a piece of chrome that reflects like a mirror.
The thing I like best about your pics are, they convey thoughts and feelings of a great time in a great land!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took all those pics after I stopped. I want to find some way to mount my camera to my handlebars so that I can attach it, turn it on, and push the button while riding. That, or record video even...

Maybe next week, as I have Thursday off. Anyone else?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Woo hoo - the spaghetti bowl of the 74. :D That is my absolute favorite portion of road in the area. Awesome, awesome. You can take those curves at 50+ mph (barring a bus or RV in the way) because they are ramped sooooo nicely. Love it.

Great pics - thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be ABLE to take those curves at 50mph but I think because it was my first time up 74, I did pretty good at about 40-45 up and 35-40 down. As I ride it more, I'll get better. Thanks for your comments.

I know, its a shame. I have lived right here my whole life and have been riding for 5+ years, and have NEVER ridden 74 before today.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sparc's Hotchick said:
Woo hoo - the spaghetti bowl of the 74. :D That is my absolute favorite portion of road in the area. Awesome, awesome. You can take those curves at 50+ mph (barring a bus or RV in the way) because they are ramped sooooo nicely. Love it.

Great pics - thanks for sharing.
+1! i love that road. those banked curves are sweet!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I used to work in Aliso Viejo and drove the 74 from the 5 to palm dessert during the summer where I have a condo. I love that portion of the rode as well, however, I have found that it can be very dangerous. Ride the other half, the Ortega hwy to, that is a nice ride.

Love the pics. You can buy camera holders for you bike on the web, I guess they might vibrate on our V-twins but I will be putting one on my valk. Cant wait to drive the 74 on the valk.
:lol:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dragoon,

You still have that condo out here in the desert? We're getting ready to buy out in Indio soon. Just curious......

:twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
No,

Condo was sold in December, but we are looking at a small house with a pool in the sout part of the area. We do go to the Marriott every July 4th weekend and share a time share with friends of our from Vegas. However, I like to make that ride, so when time allows, we should hook up. If we close on this house, I plan on having a HSN ride out there and a BBQ for the riders so keep searching the California section for details, love to see you there.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it'd be cool to meet other riders. As of right now, I have no one to ride with, so whenever I see someone riding a cruiser, they get the left hand drop. Most of the time it gets returned. As far as sportbikes go, I usually just wave. But yeah, it'd be cool to do a local ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.