Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was following my friend home and we took a wrong turn. We pulled over to the side and waited for a chance to u-turn. He did fine (years of experience on big Harleys) but me - not so good... I forgot that I was in second and stalled right away and then dropped. Good news though - not a scratch on either me or the bike.

I think I was feeling nervous about holding up traffic. It was also the end of a long day of a physical training camp that wore me out. Good lesson to ride within my limits and take my own pace - especially when I'm tired after a long day... I shouldn't have let the traffic pressure me - and I should have been more attentive to fully down-shifting. Actually - I shouldn't have tried the u-turn there at all! There was a drive-way I could have used instead.

Oh well...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Glad to read that you weren't at speed or anything. That's what I thought when I read the title. I've had a couple of close calls as slow speeds. Like taking a left onto a road while sitting in the turning lane but being in 2nd and not realizing it. Stalled out in the middle of the turn with traffic coming. It's just one of those things that makes you realize you've gotta be 100% confident you can make it.

When pulling into traffic or crossing it, I don't chance it any more even tho I've got the horsepower to make it into small gaps in traffic.
Just don't make yourself feel rushed and don't take unnecessary chances like what you're talking about. It's all about experience and knowing your bike.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome to the club. Everyone does it at one time of the other ...

Glad there a no blemishes organic or mechanical.....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Being tired and feeling pressure because of traffic or spectators is always a combination for something to go wrong. No worries. As far as the no scratches, engine guards or good luck?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Glad your alright. Sounds like you learned all the right lessons.
I almost did the same thing to day. Pulling out of a parking lot and was making a sharp right hand turn. Looked up and saw all pothole and loose gravel. slowed a little, realized I was in 2d too late and stalled it. Luckily, I got stood up straight a little so when it stalled I could drop a foot and hold it up.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have a bad habit of forgetting to downshift to first. Got caught a few times in intersections. Just gotta remember to remember.

Mike

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Ride Like a Pro

Glad to see you are not hurt, dropping a bike sucks, but if you walk away unscathed, it's still a good day.

You might want to take a few skills courses, like the Ride Like a Pro course. If you can't get down to FL, get the DVD and do the exercises. I'd ridden for about 8 years before I took a similar course (in Okinawa taught by a Gunnery Sgt.), and it completely changed the way I ride. I "thought" I knew how to ride - and boy was I wrong.

I just bought the 3 DVD combo for my wife, she is just learning to ride - in fact she just started the MSF course tonight. And in truth, it never hurts to practice!

Doc

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
First glad you and the bike (stress on you(the rider)) came out of that ok.

That wasn't a spill,,man you just TIPPED OVER,,been there like a lot of us, you know first you pick up the bike, then sorta look around, like nobody saw that,,

glad you're ok

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
glad your alright bud.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First glad you and the bike (stress on you(the rider)) came out of that ok.

That wasn't a spill,,man you just TIPPED OVER,,been there like a lot of us, you know first you pick up the bike, then sorta look around, like nobody saw that,,

glad you're ok
Thanks - ok - not much of a spill... :) Hope it counts though so that I don't still need a real spill!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Don't feel bad. I think just about every new rider on this forum that bought a Phantom has dropped it already. In fact I'm pretty sure it is some sort of Phantom owner initiation right of passage or something. :lol:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I came close to dropping the bike last night, I was pulling into a gas station and the station has a steep incline, I didn't shift down enough and stalled it halfway up. I instantly threw my right leg down hit the starter button dropped the gears, said a few choice words at myself and continued into the station like nothing happened. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
84 Posts
That turned out well in the end. ;)

I went riding with a friend yesterday evening. He's got about 13,000 miles of experience verses my less than 100 miles. I stalled when trying to pull out towards the beginning of the ride. There was a car behind me and I kept stalling because I was trying to get back into first gear because I didn't downshift all the way when coming to a stop. I eventually made it. Later, we came to a stop at a light on what seemed to be a 90 degree hill. It led to a highway. I have never started on what I would call a hill, especially this kind of a hill! I was nervous because it was so steep and there were cars behind us. The light turned green and miraculously, I pulled out with no trouble. The only problem was that I revved it too much, but I controlled the clutch and the bike did not get away from me.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
... I forgot that I was in second and stalled right away and then dropped. Good news though - not a scratch on either me or the bike.

Oh well...
;)Join the club. It's a big one!
-john

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Physical training camp made you tired? Well, there's your first lesson. Quit going to those things, and you can do u turns all day!!!

Seriously, you just found out one of your limitations. In time, they will diminish. Glad nothing was hurt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.