Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took out my air box and made a costum sub gas tank. i tryed puting filter on the end of that duct to the carbs but the bike will not start unless i choke it all the way, and if i open the throttle it dies...i guess im getting to much air and was wonder where the adjustment screw and if that can even fix it? or do i need new jets? i will be doing a straight exhaust im going to make. im sure this wont help with the mixture issue.

or would choking down the air inlet help?

·
Banned
956 Posts
Too much air, need new jets. Choking down the air inlet would in effect help starve the engine for air like stock, but it would be better to rejet and let the engine use that extra air. I would do the exhaust and then rejet for both at once.

·
Banned
956 Posts
I can't help with the what, just the why. You are getting too much air, but how to rejet is beyond my expertize. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah a dynojet stage 1 jet kit is fine for intake and exhaust, i run a stage one kit with open pipes and removed air box with no problem

·
Registered
23 Posts
looks like you are doing more than the normal mods there... Typically a stage one kit is for exh and "stock K&N replacement" so normally idle jets are not included. Right off the bat sounds like you are at least a few steps too small on the pilot. So for example if you currently have a 40 pilot personally I would go at least 2 steps up so that would make it a 44 or 45. and at least the same for the mains. Keep in mind what you are doing is not the norm so it will take a few changes. A good guide would be to go to the factory pro site and search for the how to jet a carb section..
hth

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you think that would be a good place to start even though mine is a 700? i wonder if they have the same carb on them? i think im just going to finish everything up exhaust and intake wise, then start trying jets....hope i wont waste to much money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts