Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,
I just wanted to tell you what a great experience it was to take the Experienced Rider Course of the MSF yesterday here in Nashville. I can't recommend it enough to polish your skills and as a refresher. I really needed to be pushed to expand my skills on my bike, as I'm going to Deal's Gap this summer.

After 6 solid hours of being told (very politely but firmly) to turn my head more, to press the bars more, to do this or not do that, I'm definitely better able to handle my bike. I even scraped the pegs for the first time, which I had always been afraid to lean enough to do. You do a lot of the same exercises as the basic rider course, but new things are added to make it more difficult, and the speeds are increased. Good news - the figure 8 box is bigger, but since we all had bigger bikes, it wasn't much easier. Since there's no test at the end (unless you want to) it was just a day to concentrate on my skills. At the end of the day you get the certification card, which in most states entitles you to the same insurance discount as taking the BRC.

It was also amazing to see that people who had been riding for years had some REALLY bad habits - one guy never EVER used his front brake! Also, many people went REALLY wide on the curves. So even if you think you have nothing to learn, it's still a great class - we all were better riders at the end of the day. Find one near you, and take it when you can!!!! (No, they didn't pay me to say this.)

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Congratulations,

The ERC is a good test for all the bad habits you get into when riding. Mine is grabbing the front brake with only two fingers and driving a little quick. Whe had to take the exam at the end though and did the figure 8 in a 16ft box. It is nice to get a score even though failing would have nothing to do with your license.

Sounds like you found a few faults too. :lol:

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Paulie said:
Congratulations,

The ERC is a good test for all the bad habits you get into when riding. Mine is grabbing the front brake with only two fingers and driving a little quick. Whe had to take the exam at the end though and did the figure 8 in a 16ft box. It is nice to get a score even though failing would have nothing to do with your license.

Sounds like you found a few faults too. :lol:
Here's one that will piss off a lot of people.

Using all four fingers on the brakes (assume modern bikes with good brakes, here) is a beginner technique.

Advanced riding course (beyond the MSF stuff) will actually teach you to 2-finger the brakes, and learn better, finer control of throttle->brake transitions, including (gasp!) beginning too apply the brakes BEFORE rolling off the throttle, and blipping on downshifts. The goals is SMOOTH operation on AND off the throttle, minimizing geometry changes in the suspension and maximizing ground clearance and traction in all situations.

Paulie, you're gonna LOVE the ARC class.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.