Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my current toolbox just got an upgrade. But I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on organizing tools.

Here's my old system.

And here's my new toolbox the wife got me for Christmas.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Nice box Greg. Well I can tell you how I organize mine. I have a few more drawers, but if it works for you great. The bottom big drawers hold the heavy stuff. Hammers, big clamps, sledges, crowbars, pipe wrenches, etc. Then I have one large drawer for air tool stuff. Another drawer for specialty tools used only occasionally, like gear pullers, tap & die sets, impact screw drivers, torque wrenches, etc. I have another drawer for tractor parts and another for motorcycle parts. Then I have one drawer just for screwdrivers and another just for plyers...all kinds. One drawer for metric wrenches, and another for standard wrenches. A socket wrench handle and extensions drawer, and on the very top part that opens up, all of my sockets on those long plug in socket holders, sorted by size of wrench (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) and by metric and standard. Three tiny drawers hold tire stuff, like stems, air gauges, and anything tire related, Another holds the smallest tools like precision screw drivers and spring pullers, and a third just for Allen and torx wrenches. It's a system, and I can always put my hand on any tool I want in seconds. I started with a 3 or 400 piece Craftsman set and built up from there over the last 30 years.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Take a hard serious look at your SAE tools..you may find that they have been largely collecting dust

Think about what you use most
put them where they are the quickest to access

·
Registered
467 Posts
Foremost, you must be an organized person within. It must become a habit if it is not already intrenched. Then you must clear out the crap that you know you will never use or is something you have not used for eons and most likely will never use again - this reveals the amount of room you need for what you have, need, and use. Make it a rule you will not break and put it where it belongs every time you finish using it. Otherwise, like most, you know you have something but can't find it until you purchase another one. Also, keep your tools and the area clean - this must also become a habit you will benefit from.
Alas, you will most likely fall into the vast majority that have a plan but fail to complete. This is just the facts that I have observed over a long period of time and not meant to insult you or anyone else. Hopefully you shall persevere.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
What's wrong with the old system?? Every thing is easily accessible and visible and it super easy to put away!?

Just kidding. Everything PACKY says. You have to make yourself put it back where it goes every time or soon your new system will look just like your old system. I used to be pretty disorganised, but after many years of making myself put the stuff away, I flip out when things aren't where they go . I can't even go to bed without everything put up. Crazy Dave has some good suggestions. The things you use the most, put them in the easiest place to access.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very nice! I have a similar Craftsman tool box. It is over ten years old and has survived four big moves (two of them literally across the country) and is still in great shape.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take a hard serious look at your SAE tools..you may find that they have been largely collecting dust

Think about what you use most
put them where they are the quickest to access
Good point. I sure don't use them very often.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Set up a system and keep it that way and it will become habit is my first suggestion. I like to keep my SAE and metric separate. As for sockets buy a couple of those socket keepers that you can snap the sockets onto for easier storage and availability. Also filter out the duplicates and triplicates, using only the best one. Sockets you might want to keep a 6 point and 12 point for different jobs. Have fun :D

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Foremost, you must be an organized person within. It must become a habit if it is not already intrenched. Then you must clear out the crap that you know you will never use or is something you have not used for eons and most likely will never use again - this reveals the amount of room you need for what you have, need, and use. Make it a rule you will not break and put it where it belongs every time you finish using it. Otherwise, like most, you know you have something but can't find it until you purchase another one. Also, keep your tools and the area clean - this must also become a habit you will benefit from.
Alas, you will most likely fall into the vast majority that have a plan but fail to complete. This is just the facts that I have observed over a long period of time and not meant to insult you or anyone else. Hopefully you shall persevere.
Packy dude. You could be a counselor for the perpetually disorganized, like myself. Your first main point is that it must be an attitude before it becomes a reality and a habit. I'm gonna try your advice. Thanks for suspecting the real issue and offering some good advice. :)

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Tool
CrazyDave

I once had a tool
I tripped over everyday
I never used it for anything
still I did not throw it away
then I tripped particularly hard
over it on that fateful day
and in a rage filled flash
I threw that tool away
and as you may
have already guessed
I of course needed it
that very next day

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nice toolbox, bet you will enjoy. I wonder if you will spend more time looking for stuff now than before tho;) Looks like you knew exactly where everything used to be!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
All good ideas so far, before full time ministry I was a Journeyman maint mech and spent much time developing a good system because of the different factories I worked in. Now that I'm at home with all my tools I do very similar to what has been said, top, all sockets and ratchets etc that go with, mack sure same and metric are separate but on top so there's no mixing up if you can't remember or have a busy helping out you can tell them exactly where everything is. I have some small side drawers that have Allen wrenches in but you may have space left on top for those, also keep same and metric seperate so you don't have to fumble around to find them. Next long drawer all open and closed end wrenches with a divider for metric and sae. I also put adjustable wrenches in that drawer too because they are closely related and often used when you don't have the right open end. Next drawer, all players, Chanel locks, needle nose, wire cutters, tin snips etc. Next drawer, pipe wrenches, hack saw, pry bars etc. I keep punches and drifts in one of my top small drawers but you don't have those so maybe in one of the thinner upper cabinate drawers. All clamps, hammers, larger pipe wrenches, pully pullers, and anything else bigger and heavy in the bottom cabs bottom drawer. If you have electrical tools, large screwdriver sets etc. put them in one of the top cab drawers and the open ends in the top drawer of the bottom cab.
Once you have it all set up and start wrenching you may find certain things are more convienent in another place. That's just kind of a good starting point. Then there's drill bits and stuff link that too, I usually put that stuff with punches and drifts but again I have some smaller drawers to make it easier to seperate some of those things.
I find that I tend to put the things I use most in the places that are easiest to access and the heavy stuff that I may not use very often in the bottom drawer out of the way and helps keep the whole box more stable. Anyway, just my 2 cents from years of wrenching.
Oh yes, and put everything back cleaned and where you got it from or non of the above makes any difference!

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Top of box/lid has cutters, pliers, caliper and VOM
Top drawer = I turn flat blade screwdrivers one direction, Phillips the other direction...
Second drawer + combination wrenches, same thing, kinda;) Metric to the left, SAE to the right ; nothing larger than 19mm&3/4" for weight distribution;)
third drawer = ratchets together, facing opposite directions with sockets on racks, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 all separate from each other...
open area contains soldering gun, pencil and EFI tools...
Top drawer bottom box = wrenches and sockets larger than 3/4..
second drawer bottom box = mis-assorted and specialty tools...
Bottom open area = boxed air tool set, pipe wrenches set, socket sets, screwdriver sets all for portable use...
Toolbox is two steps from motorcycle lift :D

I am NOT normally organized, but my toolbox is, somewhat,
D

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Your 'before' picture looks like my work bench after I clean up. Anyway...that is a nice toolbox and I'm sure you will figure something out.

One thought though.....this could be an opportunity to compliment your toolkit with organizational accessories like those metal socket holders that the socket heads clip onto by size, and other things along those lines. Also, you may want to upgrade on some of your 'key' tools, or add some. Specially any you need just for the bike. I bought a good set of individual allen keys in sizes that fit the fasteners on my bike. Higher end screw drivers work well too.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
So my current toolbox just got an upgrade. But I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on organizing tools.

Here's my old system.

And here's my new toolbox the wife got me for Christmas.

Greg, I would put liners in the drawers.

Back in '94 they sold rolls of compressed cork liner specifically for tool chests, you'd have to cut them to size. Thats what i did with mine. I'd be surprised if it's not still available somewhere...
it's the color of a new Cork, a Tan color.

Nice putting the tools on something other that the hard metal and it prevents them from moving around plus other benefits.

Got to do it in the beginning cause once its loaded up with tools thats it, window closed....

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Greg, I would put liners in the drawers.

Back in '94 they sold rolls of compressed cork liner specifically for tool chests, you'd have to cut them to size. Thats what i did with mine. I'd be surprised if it's not still available somewhere...
it's the color of a new Cork, a Tan color.

Nice putting the tools on something other that the hard metal and it prevents them from moving around plus other benefits.

Got to do it in the beginning cause once its loaded up with tools thats it, window closed....
I didn't think to add that because mine came with rubber mats, definatly a must have. Most hardware stores sell the rubber mats and some the cork, both work well. Also you can get rubber runners cut to size in the carpet dept of Home Depot or Lowes the cut it down to fit each drawer. You'll find out how much you need them the first time you close a drawer faster than slow motion, all your organizing out the door!

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tool
CrazyDave

I once had a tool
I tripped over everyday
I never used it for anything
still I did not throw it away
then I tripped particularly hard
over it on that fateful day