Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since all that was in my "Tool Kit" ,that Honda provided me with for my new Spirit 750, is a Screwdriver, I will be making a trip to the pawn shop to buy a few tools to carry in my fork mounted tool bag.

I have tools in my shop for maintenance, repair, etc...but I am looking for advice or suggestions from some expeienced riders of items to carry on the bike in case of emergency or mechanical failure.

I'd like to keep it cheap....I can't lock the tool bag!
:oops:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Tire plug kit, walmart has some cheap. a co2 inflation.
a pair of channel lockplyers.
a pair of side cuters,
small visegrips
a roll of sergical tubeing (tons of uses one of whitch is syphoning)
allen head wrenches
plug wrench
rag

this is all cheap things for a tool pouch, I take more when going on longer trips.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Its a Honda... you don't need any tools, just ride 8)

I'm seriously not going to sit on the side of the road and fix my bike, I've done that to many times with my old cars and I'm past that now. I carry a cellphone, if I break down I'll call someone and get it taken back to my house. If you are worried about towing fees, join the AMA (they provide free emergency towing) or check your insurance, they may offer it also...

I would go back to the dealership and bitch about wanting the rest of the tool kit though.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Tool KIt

I carry electricians tape, electrical ties, a small spool of wire, tire air guage, . We have had to wire kickstands and mufflers back in replace, and tape loose blinkers back together. Also fuses. Jim

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You best bet would be to go online to partsfish.com look up a bike like yours that came with a tool kit and find all the sizes and types of wrenches that come with a real tool kit and assemble something accordingly. Or just buy the tool kit completed for servicehonda.com it will be much cheaper than a dealer, and supplement it with addtional tools as stated above.

If you have the tubeless tires the mushroom style plugs are supposed to be the safest and best to have on hand. A kit from competition accessories is pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bikebandit.com sells the complete toolkit for about $45. They aren't the greastest quality but they work. I bought it and plan on replacing them bit by bit with better quality.

·
Registered
540 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
You best bet would be to go online to partsfish.com look up a bike like yours that came with a tool kit and find all the sizes and types of wrenches that come with a real tool kit and assemble something accordingly. Or just buy the tool kit completed for servicehonda.com it will be much cheaper than a dealer, and supplement it with addtional tools as stated above.

If you have the tubeless tires the mushroom style plugs are supposed to be the safest and best to have on hand. A kit from competition accessories is pretty reasonable.
its pretty standard for the new 750s to come with only a screw driver, if your lucky there will also be an allen head in there,
I asked to dealer and yup thats what you get.... I know Ive see other threads about there lack of tool kits.
but with a new bike you get a year of the honda riders of america . with road side. :) so I guess that makes up for it. lol

·
Registered
884 Posts
I keep the full Honda toolkit, an extr allen wrench for my windshield (tho I can't imagine why)

I DO keep a plug kit for radial tires, but that won't work if you have spokes (tubed tires). If you've got tube tires, it MIGHT behoove you to have a tube patch kit, but only if you're capable (with the right tools - spoons, of course) of removing the tire from the rim & getting it back on. But, let me warn you, reseating the beads on a tire may take more air than a couple of co2 cartridges can supply. But, it may be adequate for a non-tube wheel. I've plugged the holes from two nails in my rear tire & it's run just fine for almost a year (about 5k miles). But, I have a small compressor at home & that's where I found the nails. But, the co2 cartridges will probably be adequate for plugging a wheel when you're far from home.

My best tools are a cell phone, credit card, & my AAA card. I also have a tiny LED flashlight on my key ring.

I've put 8k miles on a 20 year old bike with 40k miles, 16k miles on a 2 yr old bike, and another 5k on my new Sabre. I never had a break down, but I did get a flat tire once on my way to work.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I did get the full tool set with my 750, but they weren't the best quality and had I kept the bike for more than a year I would have replaced them with professional grade tools. I didn't get a tool set with the new 1100 I bought to replace the 750.

I think Jim Mann has a pretty good list in his post. The only repairs we're likely to make on the side of the road are quickie emergency repairs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

I have assembled a kit containing:
Metric Allen wrenches
10,12,13,14,17mm wrenches
slip joint pliers(channellocks)
side cutters
adjustable wrench (Crescent)
zip ties
electrical tape
cO2 tire inflater
small shake light flashlight
A leatherman type multi-tool
and a universal screwdriver kit.

It all fits nicely in my tool bag.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've had several (more than I can count) of those multi-purpose tools. None of them were either Gerber or Leatherman, but some were "brand" names & all of them were worthless. The pliars wouldn't close completely, the screwdrivers all had rounded edges (even when new), & the knives were all both dull & unstable (tended to fold over when using them - "cut-off-your-finger" dangerous). I'm sure the Gerber & Leatherman tools are worth the money, but they're not inexpensive by any means. Expect to pay well for them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
very true.
Mine is a gerber. some times they can be found on e-bay for 25-30 range.
I like the blunt nose one, the needle nose just hasnt worked for me.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the shrade version now, have had it for about 7 or 8 years now. I have bought the cheap ones before, and there really is a difference... mine was a gift from my father, and ran about $39.99

as stated, its always on my belt and with me... so I never thought of it as part of the tool kit.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Xoolo said:
Tire plug kit, walmart has some cheap. a co2 inflation
??? Your sig pic says you have spoked wheels. What'cha gonna do with a plug kit?

·
Registered
540 Posts
MikeB said:
Xoolo said:
Tire plug kit, walmart has some cheap. a co2 inflation
??? Your sig pic says you have spoked wheels. What'cha gonna do with a plug kit?
My VTX behind it is not spoked ;-) one main thing I wanted for a hyway bike to make repairs easier then pulling the tube.
thanks tho.
good point for anyone else to.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Xoolo said:
very true.
Mine is a gerber. some times they can be found on e-bay for 25-30 range.
I like the blunt nose one, the needle nose just hasnt worked for me.
and if you find cheap leatherman's on e-bay and buy them, just remember if they break you can send it in and get it repaired for "free" (s/h and insurance), or depending on the condition, they'll just send you a new one. That guarantee came in handy for me a couple years ago when the small flathead broke, sent it in and got a new leatherman

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a Leatherman PSTII that I've carried @ work for 8-9 yrs. Got it free from Marlboro back when I smoked! Can't imagine a day without it!
Put a "Winchester" tool in my tool bag on the bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.