Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I still have some carb issues and maybe even spark plug issues,,,,but I don't think I am getting everything out of this bike. What should the top speed be? When it is od,,,it tops out at around 5k rpms...the engine will rev all the way and in the 1st 3 gears, will accellerate fine....but on the interstate, the OD is limited. IS it governed down???? I don't have a speedometer cable yet, so the speed is aprox 80-85..for this style of bike, this is sufficient, but if it isn't right, it is just wrong.

Thanks,
A.Gore

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top Speed..

Ooops..
1986 VT700, with mufflers, not open exhaust.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have an 84 and I have lots of headroom at 5k in 6th gear. I could probably do 100+. Just don't have the desire to do that any more...

I don't know of a rev limiter on the 80s bikes. Not at 5k, any way!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
When the 1983 750 shadow was released. This is what was claimed in motorcycle magazines etc.

Horsepower 66hp /7500 Rpm
Torque 49.4 /6000 Rpm
standing start 1/4 mile :12.87 sec @ 101.92mph

Maximum Speed in gears (at redline 8000 rpm)
1st - 45mph - 72km/h
2nd - 64mph - 102km/h
3rd - 80mph - 128km/h
4th - 96mph - 154km/h
5th - 115mph - 185km/h
6th - 138mph - 222km/h

My OD sure doesn't have a lot of acceleration, but if you keep it cranked it will keep accelerating very slowly. I think it may just be a tall gear and start accelerating better as you get over 5000k
I know I for one have never even tried for 100mph, that's a you don't get to drive anymore kind of ticket where I am.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also have an '86 VT700, I can tell you for a fact that it will do over 100 mph. 6th gear is very tall, on a hard acceleration run I wouldn't hit 6th till 80+ mph. My tach has been missing for years so I can't help with the RPM.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Yup, you'll break 100 without much effort at all. You'll be rolling about 6k RPM if I remember. I ride my 1986 VT700 about 80-85 in some sections of my morning commute. Doesn't break a sweat, but the wind buffeting is a bit annoying to say the least.

--Justin

·
Registered
76 Posts
86 VT700 and I agree on the 100 plus. Did it once and that was enough. I constantly run at 80+ on I95. I believe the tach is around 4k when at about 70 but i will reconfirm that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many Thanks

Thanks for the information. That 6th gear is a tough one. My average speed is 80 - 85 on the interestate, but usually right on the speed limit on the small streets. The wind is a pain in the a$$,,,,,but am getting a windshield tomorrow. It will help with the wind, but mainly protect me from debris coming from the traffic.

Thanks Again,
A.Gore

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have done 100 mph once on my 84 VT700c without meaning too, was trying to get by an RV before the passing lane disappeared and looked down and the needle was right on 100.

Mine doesn't like going up hills in 6th gear either I have the throttle pulled back as far as it will go and it tops out at about 65mph if I drop it back into 5th it does fine, I have driven cars that did the same thing in OD so I'm not really worried about it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
my 84 vt700 will do 100 mph with ease...only been there once..no need to go there again. tach doesnt work so i cant tell u what that was at at 100

·
Registered
546 Posts
i also have an 86 vt700. 6th doesn't so much but maintain speed. No idea how fast i go because no speedo or tach, but i know it's pretty fast. I try to always stay in front of traffic on the highways, one highway here is 70mph speed limit, cars usually go 75-85, so i go 76-86 i'd guess. Sometimes as fast as it will go.. i keep having to remind myself its a vtwin cruiser and not a go fast bike though

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I don't have a speedometer cable yet, so the speed is aprox 80-85..for this style of bike, this is sufficient, but if it isn't right, it is just wrong.

Thanks,
A.Gore
I can confirm that without a speedometer cable you are wasting your time trying to guess your speed.

John.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know I still have some carb issues and maybe even spark plug issues,,,,but I don't think I am getting everything out of this bike. What should the top speed be? When it is od,,,it tops out at around 5k rpms...the engine will rev all the way and in the 1st 3 gears, will accellerate fine....but on the interstate, the OD is limited. IS it governed down???? I don't have a speedometer cable yet, so the speed is aprox 80-85..for this style of bike, this is sufficient, but if it isn't right, it is just wrong.

Thanks,
A.Gore
My `83 750 will run 95 or 100 with my big ass sitting on it fighting the wind. Bear in mind that my bike has 55K+ on it so old grey mare ain't what she used to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buried this speedo in 6th gear at 8K on the tach.
Guessing around 125 to 128 mph.
Did it on an almost new bike (VT7000) with around 3K miles on it back in 86 on HWY 167 north of Little Rock heading back to base in Jacksonville.
It was a nice bike.
Traded it and 1000$ for a 1951 Chevy 3100 truck back in 1993.
Still have the truck ;)

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
Traded it and 1000$ for a 1951 Chevy 3100 truck back in 1993.
Still have the truck ;)
Given the state of things the truck was a good investment.
I can safely say that sight unseen. (-;

The early 750 and 700 Shadows were fast, like a 750 was expected to be back then.
Modern ones don't come close, at least not fresh out of the box. (-:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've found these discussions very interesting. I have had a 1985 VT110C with an exhaust mod that had power to 105mph+ with plenty to spare. Started perfectly, ran like a boss. Recently went to a 1986 VT110C completely stock and while I can get to 100mph easily I am running with the throttle wide open. I'm going to transfer the exhaust mod to the 1986 and see if that makes any difference with the engine. I think it should, as these bikes were almost identical. The '85 has 33,000 miles, the '86 has 14,000. Will be interesting to see what the exhaust mod changes, the '85 basically has straight open pipes that go to the right vs. the stock ones w/ muffler that are on both sides. Pics included before I make any changes.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
I've found these discussions very interesting. I have had a 1985 VT110C with an exhaust mod that had power to 105mph+ with plenty to spare. Started perfectly, ran like a boss. Recently went to a 1986 VT110C completely stock and while I can get to 100mph easily I am running with the throttle wide open. I'm going to transfer the exhaust mod to the 1986 and see if that makes any difference with the engine. I think it should, as these bikes were almost identical. The '85 has 33,000 miles, the '86 has 14,000. Will be interesting to see what the exhaust mod changes, the '85 basically has straight open pipes that go to the right vs. the stock ones w/ muffler that are on both sides. Pics included before I make any changes.
I don't know much about the 1100, I agree AFAIK they should be the same engine, Honda didn't drop the compression and change the cams until '87.
I can't help, but do find your experiment interesting. Are your custom pipes actually longer, I take it the rear pipe crosses over and there is no cross-over between the two?
As regards top speeds of 1100 Shadows they are all over the place as reported in these forums.
The 1100 are the only Shadows that are undersquare and this may make them more exhaust tuning sensitive.
When you changed the pipes did you rejet? That may possibly account for something.

Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not longer, just straight through. Sending pics of other side too..the original owner of the 1985 was the one who did the exhaust mod, so I'm not sure if he rejetted or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will , of course, post the results when I switch them out. It might just be a spring project for me, as Indiana winter is coming fast..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts