Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should be able to catch the end of riding season so not all is lost. but finally got my own personal bike got everything good to go besides my carb kit which now sits on the counter. but i fell from a ladder tore my acl and damaged my cartilage. great start of my year...... im just glad everything is going smoothly so far and shouldn't need to let anything go to make ends meet while i heal up.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
Heal fast !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya hopefully and im definitely not one to ignore a dr. i never go unless i actually need to but once i do its a different story.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I feel your pain.
Some years ago my quadriceps tendon seperated over my left knee. Yeah...It hurt. o_O
But I remember being as concerned about missing the riding season as much as my recovery prospects. It happened in June, so like you, I was still able to squeeze a bit of late summer riding in.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,394 Posts
Last june I laid my little shadow down in a corner and broke my left leg in several places. I got whats called a tibial nail, a titanium rod that was inserted into my tibia. Hurt like hell but I was very upset that my riding season so soon. 3 weeks later I was back at work but still couldn't ride. By August I was walking but still couldnt ride. September rolls around and my club is gearing up for our toy run. This was my last chance, snow would be falling soon. So I changed the bent bars on the old boy, replaced a foot peg and the mirror and sat in the saddle. ****! I couldn't shift. My muscles had weakened to the point that I just couldnt get that damn shifter up. So I did what any sain person would do, I built a hand shifter. Made the toy run much to everyone's surprise and the shifter was a huge hit. Now Im back to about 95% of what my leg used to be and no longer need the hand shifter but its staying because its cool as **** and has a inspirational story behind it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
tore my left acl water skiing over 30 years ago. opted to not do the surgery and it's been ok ever since.. Took probably 6 months to stop limping iirc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
work related so im going for the surgery and i definitely dont want to take the chance it just doesn't heal right.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What convinced me to not do the surgery then was walking in to physical therapy on my own power and seeing the people in there that had the surgery coming in on crutches etc and screaming in pain as the therapists tried to stretch out their "repaired" acl ... That was back in the late 80's though, they have surely improved the procedures by now.

Don't settle and/or sign anything until you're sure it's ok afterwards. If the Dr. decides you have a permanent 5 or 10% disability in that knee afterwards, you might get a settlement.

Had a work-related meniscus tear in the right knee a few years ago. That time I did do the surgery and it went smoothly..can't even find the little scar now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya thing thats pushing me for the surgery is i just cant stand on it at all. if it felt like something that was just going to get better i probably would have just went with the brace. dr did a good job explaining everything to me but i cant remember exactly what was discussed. but it came down to surgey or using a brace for a long time possibly the rest of my life. pretty gross and a little painful but its pretty wierd to be able to have your lower leg move around as tho its only held on by your muscle tissue around it. either way they seem extremely confident in an easy surgery and a full recovery. pain is minimal so im also keeping my ankle going to keep the muscles strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts