1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Yes, with a new diaphragm....

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I was being nice. I coulda suggested trying to fix it with silicone. Seen it done. Seen it work, for a while. Esiest way to fix it because it is the only way is to geta new slide assembly or a slide repair kit for a 80s seriers CB bike CB750, 900, 1000 or 1100.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Pick up a used set of stock carbs from ebay---Better deal than buying a new slide.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Yup, got to be replaced.

Anything else would be like putting a band-aid on a hemorrhaging wound. As always and above all...ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Esiest way to fix it because it is the only way is to geta new slide assembly or a slide repair kit for a 80s seriers CB bike CB750, 900, 1000 or 1100.

Wont work, those bikes dont have rubber diaphragms, they have aluminium sliding pucks.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
How does $19.50 per diaphragm sound to you? Check out this link: Keihin 72mm diameter diaphragm Honda VT CBR Hurricane Installation. Please note that I don't have any financial interest in this product or the web site. Simply doing some research to help you out. As always and above all...ride safe.
I've heard of these replacement diaphragm kits before and they seem like a good idea to me.. The hard part is removing and replacing the carbs so you might as well do the job properly..

John.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yep, used those that floyd suggested on my rebuild, 2000 miles later, and no complaints, though i think i should have put in an extra washer in the slide pin, may try that later, be sure and get those carbs SUPER clean (especially the main jet)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered two

Ordered two of the replacements for 19.50 each. Will replace them both is the plan. Will keep everyone informed. Should be here by end of the week. Already have the tracking number and they were shipped out the next morning that they were ordered.
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
367 Posts
make sure you take few pics. If this works, you are going to save lot of money to lot a people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE-Diaphragms WORKED

Directions were on the web but had to be slightly modified to my specific model. Once the diaphragms were out, it took about 20 minutes for the first one and ten for the second one (and I was cautious all the way).
The only thing I did not do was sandpaper the plastic, but I did use a carb cleaner and q-tips to clean the rim where the glue would be placed. After cleaning with carb cleaner, I then washed with soapy water and hand dried.
The cost of replacing ONE of these is $100-150.00 online and $140.00 at my local Honda shop..... I bought them both for 43.00 with shipping and they arrived in just three days. My local shop said 7-10 days for them to get it.
The photos show the cut off diaphragm- the removal of both outer and inner plastic rings- the cleaning of the rim- the final alignment before gluing with white out.
Final result after rebuild of carb and replacement diaphragm--- bike fired right up and sounds great.
Thank you all for your help... would never have found the parts without you.
Keihin 72mm diameter diaphragm Honda VT CBR Hurricane Installation

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
awesome, thanx for letting us know. This should be a sticky for when I need it in the future :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Wont work, those bikes dont have rubber diaphragms, they have aluminium sliding pucks.
I dunno, looks viable to me. Read the comments at the bottom of the page that is linked.

Hope it works out for ya. Keep us informed. Helluva lot cheaper than $100 ea!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts