Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wuts up everybody, Im new here in town (this site) and from what i have reading and searching on the net, this is the best place for advice on my shadow. i have a '04 vt1100c2 sabre. my question is that i have 2" cobra drag pipes and took the mufflers out of them so they are straight pipes. the carbs have been rejetted and i have a k&n filter in it. i have put baffles in it but talk about QUITE. so i cut those up some and the backfiring wont stop. i decided to try a generic cheap way using reducer pipes right at the heads but it sounds like it pops louder. i just bought some torque cones and was wondering if that would make a difference. from experianced opinions would be great especially with roughly the same set up. thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
skaggs,
If the backfiring you're referring to is coming from the pipes upon deceleration(we refer to that as "popping on decel"), you'll need to adjust your idle mixture screws out a bit more to get rid of it. Fooling with the drag pipes likely won't get rid of it, unless the pipes are leaking where they attach to the heads. Make sure that whenever you remove the pipes, that you install new exhaust gaskets. These are copper crush gaskets and shouldn't be re-used.

If the engine IS backfiring through the carburetors, then you have other issues that none of the above advice will take care of.

Brian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
much appreciated. i installed the torque cones and it did make a dramatic difference. although it still does pop a little. the fuel mixture screws are on the sides of the carbs right? the small screw set about 1/8" deep. if i when i turn the left, would that make it run more lean or rich?
thanks again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where did you buy the torque cones and which ones are they? I've also been unable to stop the loud popping with my cobra 2" drags. Would be very pleased if they help.

Steve

·
Registered
423 Posts
skaggs23 said:
much appreciated. i installed the torque cones and it did make a dramatic difference. although it still does pop a little. the fuel mixture screws are on the sides of the carbs right? the small screw set about 1/8" deep. if i when i turn the left, would that make it run more lean or rich?
thanks again.
Screwing them in is leaner.

Screwing them out is richer.

You should lightly bottom them out, counting the number of turns it takes. Then back them out about a half turn more than they were and see how that helps. Adjustments should be made in 1/4 to 1/2 turns at a time and the screws should not be backed out more than 3-1/2 turns total. If you go farther than 3-1/2 turns, you run the risk of the screws backing out more on their own. Some folks have had them fall out! A dab of silicone in the hole around the screw will keep them from doing that.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1186.pdf Figure B on page 2 will show you where the mixture screws are located on your carburetors.

Brian

·
Registered
47 Posts
When you rejet your carbs, did you replace the pilot jets? The Sabre comes stock with #42 pilots, and you should be running a #48 with your setup. Dynojet does not include pilots in a jet kit, you have to order them separately. I used Kien pilots. Here is the website I got them from
Pro X N424-21 Series Keihin Pilot Jet | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
I am running a straight pipe cobra low boy shotguns with the 48 slows, and it does not pop at all. Also, a/f screw on my bike is 1 1/2 out on front and 1 3/4 out on rear cylinder, just to give you an idea. It may be different on yours of course. I hope this helps some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts