Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Now that my new battery isn't weeping acid on the frame by the swingarm anymore, I need to touch it up. Now taking everything off and pulling the motor and having the frame powdercoated would be nice, but isn't going to happen right now. I was thinking of just rattle can touch up for now. Any suggestions on paint/color/technique to get it to match the best?

PS- 93 VT 1100.

Thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No advice? Hasn't anyone had their battery do this? haha...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
No advice? Hasn't anyone had their battery do this? haha...
I don't know the paint code, but I'm sure somebody here does. If not, a simple phone call to a local dealer would do. I would just lightly sand it and dust it over with the matching color. Maybe paint match it to your bike color (unless black :mrgreen: )?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Well my frame is black. I use what ever rattle can paint is at the store in a Black Satin finish. Then mask-off and/or remove parts that may get overspray.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I touched up some small spots on my frame with a rattle can of gloss black lacquer paint I had in the garage & it matched very well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, sounds good. My frame is black, but I just didn't know what finish... Plus, then you get the different shades of black by brand... universal black, black etc.

See, I was thinking gloss would be too glossy... maybe satin huh?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gloss matched perfectly with my 97 frame, sounds like satin was good for 93gc40. Try one & if it is too glossy or dull a can of the other is not that much $. You may want to spray some primer on it & give it a light sanding before the black

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I use "BLACK liquid electrical tape" bought from Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Dries hard and glossy like the "stock" frame paint. Brush on and make sure your strokes are smooth.

Can order this stuff from electrical supply; places in "rainbow of colors"!!!! Some of the computers guys would use this stuff to "paint/coat" needed color if wires were damaged.

Works for me.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Recommendations:
1. wet down the battery affected area and coat with baking soda. If you see bubbling, keep doing it. This is to neutralize remnant acid or acid salts.
2. Wet sand target area, dry and coat with self-etching rattle can primer.
3. Most any household enamel should do the job but I am intrigued by Bullzeyet's recommendation.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree...interesting. I went down to the electricians shop here at work to see if they heard of it...of course they weren't in.

Yeah, used a whole box of baking soda to neutralize it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Was told about this years ago by both electrican and computer repair guy...who happen to ride motorcycles. The electricains used it on wires after they were "pulled" thru conduit pipe and lost the insulation. Brush on this liquid stuff and it saves running new wire.

From the computer guy...they use it for nearly the same issues when running those flat "wide tape type" of cable (having 3-6-9-12 tiny wire connections) that get pinched or scrapped while assembling a hand built computer or repair the insulation without paying the high cost for a replacement cable/wire or cracked connectors.
This is where all the rainbow colors are used!!!

That's all I know.

Bullzeyet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts