Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Just brought the bike out for the first time in several months and what a GREAT ride, even though it was only 36 degrees outside, it's like food to a starving man. Anyway, I'm thinking about the ride home now when the traffic is low and the stoplights are all on automatic. Most of the time I have to stop, look left and right, and go THROUGH the red light 'cause the bike won't trip the light trigger to turn green. I talked to local law enforcement a while back and the guy told me that yes I was breaking the law, no most of the time the police would not ticket me for it (because what choice would I have?) but that a cop having a bad day could ticket me if he wanted to.
I read somewhere this past winter that by putting the kickstand down directly over the seam in the road where the sensor is buried, that would trigger the light. I will have to try this, has anyone else? Also I know they sell 'green light triggers' that attach to the underside of your bike and supposedly boost the signal. It seems like a gimmick to me, do these really work?

thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
949 Posts
Frame built from ferrous alloys + powerful magnet = better chance at tripping the sensor loop.

My MSF class instructor swears by them, of course he also works at the local Suzuki shop...so take it with a grain of salt

·
Registered
327 Posts
From past discussions feedback is quite mixed on whether these devices are a hoax or not. I haven't tried it myself. I've found that if I get on the corner of the sensor I can trip almost all sensors. There are a few that are a pain but those are usually ones that I have a hard time with in the car. :(

·
Registered
865 Posts
One of the things my company does is install electric gates that are opened on the inside by the same loops cut into the asphalt that traffic lights use. Several that we installed at a local airport were tested by the TSA by sliding the lid off a 55 gallon drum under the gate and if that opened it it failed the test. Bottom line, if the light control loop isn't sensitive enough, most bikes won't have enough mass to change the inductance of the loop enough to trip the light. The magnet may help and if there's enough room to mount them then 2 magnets may even be better.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The kickstand trick does NOT work for me. I have tried it on several lights, and to no avail.
I have heard that calling the city and reporting the problem, might get them adjusted. I think if 1,000 motorcyclists emailed the city, it would get their attention.
Once reported as a safety hazard and they fail to correct the problem, they could be held liable if you were killed in a accident. :( Not gonna do you any good though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ive heard the kick stand down over the seam
the put your front wheel past the seam and leave your back on the patch hold the front brake and let off some clutch.
Stomp your foot
drag a magnet
carry a saint plastic on your triple tree and rub its belly
I am not sure which works but I am sure you will have enough time to try all these and more if you don't run the light :)
Glen

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the magnet. Not much difference. My brother swears that if you stop HARD and make the bike 'squat' so it's closer to the road as you go over the line it works much better... I don't want to slip in the oil so I don't stop that hard.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I don't have the problem here so far, I've been making sure the bike is stopped in top of the section (square box area) that trips the light and it works for me. I've been told to shut off my engine and start it up to trigger the light, so maybe that will work for you? Try it!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I took the magnet out of an old magnet mount CB antenna and fastened it to the cross member just in front of the rear wheel. Of the six traffic lights that used to give me trouble, only one does now intermittantly.

sanoke

·
Registered
259 Posts
Trueseaker said:
I have the magnet. Not much difference. My brother swears that if you stop HARD and make the bike 'squat' so it's closer to the road as you go over the line it works much better... I don't want to slip in the oil so I don't stop that hard.
Why not pull up to the light, stop, and then bounce up and down on the seat? :lol:

·
Registered
544 Posts
joepool said:
Why not pull up to the light, stop, and then bounce up and down on the seat? :lol:
ive done that - the light doesnt change but it sure stops traffic :twisted:

·
Registered
13 Posts
kara said:
joepool said:
ive done that - the light doesnt change but it sure stops traffic :twisted:
Well, at least you can safely move on once the traffic has stopped. :wink:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Shiney,
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! :D :D :D
I think you have answered the big question. Don't stop in the middle, stop along the edge of the sensor.

Thanks again,
Alan

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone!

I never got the chance to try this last night, as a car in the next lane tripped the light for me. I did talk to my local PD about it, and the nice cop I talked to said that revving the engine sometimes helps (since it increases the bike's electromagnetic signature) Also, and this probably just applies here in Wisconsin, it is LEGAL to go through an unresponsive red light provided that the biker waits 45 seconds for the light to turn. The catch, he said, is that if you wait 40 seconds and a car goes through the intersection, you have to start the count over again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts