Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be going on vac this year with the in(out)laws. The plan is to drive down, haul the bikes (min 3 max 5) and park the truck(s) and use the bikes. I am in favor of the plan.

The inlaws drive cars and the wife and I run trucks. Hers is a F150 PennDOT limo (crew cab) and I can haul 6K lbs on a trailer and be under the weight limit.

Have any of you hauled that many bikes on a utility trailer (single axel, no brakes) and if so, how did it handle? I figure I can get all of them strapped on a 6X12 3K gross. Either way I will have to buy the trailer. I would like to get a 5K with dual axels and brakes for other things, but I dont have much real use for one that heavy.

My trailer experiance comes from a class 3 (pre CDL) and I drove truck and hauled consruction equipment. I haul 45K and bigger generators at work now behind a 2500 Chebby. I have hauled a 5x8 ut trailer behind mypickup. I am a big fan of trailer brakes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My buddies and I had an accident in Missouri (i was fine). Wives came up from Texas and we bought a 6x12 single axle util trailer and literally stuffed three bikes on the trailer. The rig rolled but at the end of our return trip I began to notice our fender was rubbing tire on bumpy roads.
I wouldn't recommend putting that many bikes on a single axle again.

If your going to haul 5 then you almost have to have something heavy duty and the F-150 will surely struggle.

Honestly, I would just ride them on vacation :wink:

--BB

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I haul 3 four wheelers regularly on a 6x13 trailer with my 4.0L Jeep Cherokee. The trailer itself is a tandem axle with no brakes.
With that being said, I would want a tandem axle to haul 3 bikes and trailer brakes aren't necessary. I would want a tandem axle WITH trailer brakes to haul 5 of them though. I would only use a single axle trailer to haul 1 - 2 bikes. Also, tandem axles are alot more stable at highway speeds in crosswinds than a single axle is. You are only going to fit 3 bikes on a 6x12 trailer anyway seein's how each bike is going to be about 7 - 7.5' feet long and your going to have to load them up on an angle.
Your Penndot f-150 would be able to tow 5 bikes on a tandem axle trailer with brakes with no problem. I see 1/2 ton trucks with V8's tow Jeep Wranglers on car haulers all the time in the Jeep club I'm in. Jeeps weigh approximately 3,000 - 3,500 pounds and the car haulers they sit on run around 2,000 pounds empty for a total weight of 5,000 - 5,500 pounds. So, to make a long story short, get yourself a 16' car hauler and you'll have no worries with 3-5 bikes.
Guess what! I happen to have access to a 16' car hauler. Where are we goin' and when do we leave? :p

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nags Head, in June :wink:

Riding all of them is not a option. I am willing, thats about it though. The kids probably wouldnt ride real well for 11 hrs sitting on the back of a CB350 on a cooler and clothes :lol:

I was asking about the 6X12 because one option is to haul 2 on my truck, my 750 and the wifes 350, trailer the inlaws 750, 600 and 600 crotch rocket.

I kind of figured that the ut trailer would be out. I can get a 5K gross, tandem with brakes, no frills, not to awful money. I could always use it to haul the tractor. Hey!! I can use the trailer for a excuse to buy that John deere B for a parade tractor.

Hmmmmmm, wonder if I can float that by the other half. :shock:

·
Registered
369 Posts
6 X 12 Trailer

Tight fit for 3 cruisers, but, if one or more is a sport bike they will fit. Singel axles are usually rated for 3500#, but the springs are often too light. You might look at upgrading the spins by adding leaves or changing out to a heavier set. If you have a Tractor Supply near they will have what you need at a decent price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have an 04 model F-150 Crew Cab 4X4 with a 5.4L engine. I've towed a 16 ft lowboy with it, a pontoon boat, and a 26ft travel trailer. The pontoon boat was the toughest to tow because of all the wind it catches. The truck never really struggled, but you could definately tell the boat was there. As for the lowboy loaded down with a small diesel tractor and heavy box blade, no problem at all. I'm pretty sure the small diesel (25 hp) would probably outweigh the 3 bikes. The lowboy does'nt have brakes, I would'nt want to get in a bind and need to stop it real fast. You can get electric brakes and heavier axles put on trailers fairly reasonable, might be worth checking it out.......

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just wondering if I spend the cash to put springs and brakes, and possibly another axel on UT trailer, I am probably going to be better off getting a 6X16 5k tandem with brakes. I like the idea of the tandem and brakes and was leaning that way, I was just asking if anyone had exper with a UT trailer. Yep, there is a TSC near me, much to the wifes chagrin. Its like a "toys are us" for big people.

The weight of the bikes total I figured to be about 2500lbs. 2 Aeros = 1200, 1 VLX = 500, 1 CB350 = 400, 1 CBR600 = 400. I try to figure high for fuel and saftey chrome (the stuff you have to add to make the bike safer to ride :wink: ) The truck will haul the weight, it wont be like carrying air in the back. Figure 3K for bikes and trailer, 500 more for all the extra crap the wife will pack if there is 96 more square feet of area. I dont think she can get more than 1k on so total would be 4K + people. I am still well under the weight class with that.

There is a custom UT trailer operation near here, and the place I bought my tractor sells open grate UT trailers up to the car hauler type.

Ill let you know..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts