Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1994 honda shadow 1100 spirit
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried riding my bike for the first time and it shifted into first fine. I rode it around which it did fine, throttle worked okay. Until I went to shift into 2nd. When I did that my throttle wasn't working all of a sudden. I would use throttle and the bike would sort of groan like a soft purr instead of the loud noise it was making moments before i tried shifting into second gear. Also it felt like it shifted fine to me like even when I shifted into second. Then I put it back into first and the throttle wouldn't work still. I had to push it back down the driveway. I turned it off. And tried again and this time I heard/ felt some grinding that time and then the bike went into first but would not shift into second at all.
Felt like it wouldn't even try at all. It felt like the shift lever wouldn't move up enough like it was stuck. As I was trying I noticed smoke puffed out the right side of my bike and then throttle wouldn't work at all in any gear except neutral.

I keep my bike at my parents because I don't have a shop. Let me know what I should try, where to start, what parts I'll need, anything else that would help me get started. I will probably only respond during weekends so please work with me on that. I get to work before the suns up and i go to school everyday after work. I'm not willing to invest in the bike enough to bring it to a shop but I do have a car mechanic who I can probably get to help me if it gets to be too much for me. Currently my plan is to use the owners manual to troubleshoot. Image attached is what it says. I have no idea how to tell which one would be my issue.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,703 Posts
A bit confusing on the throttle not working. Is this a new bike to you?
Do you mean the throttle grip was stuck and you couldn't move it?
Or it turned but the engine didn't rev up?
Or the engine revved fine but the bike would not go faster? that may a clutch issue then.
Did the clutch lever seemed to have normal resistance? And allowed shifting from neutral ?

Give us more detail how it felt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Or the engine revved fine but the bike would not go faster? that may a clutch issue then.
Did the clutch lever seemed to have normal resistance? And allowed shifting from neutral ?

Sorry should have described it better. I'm going to edit my post because I was wrong I guess. The throttle still revved the engine or tried to but the engine wasn't as responsive as it would have been if I would have been in neutral. Like it didn't get loud like it would. It just sort of like groaned or buzzed a little. Idk. I rode the bike fine in first and then once I tried shifting into second it sort of just wouldn't move after that. Using the throttle after that just resulted in a weird groaning noise instead of the usual noise it made when I was riding in first gear before I tried shifting into second.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Bike shifted fine from neutral. But wouldn't shift from first to second. The throttle worked in neutral and in first fine. And once I tried to put it into second it stopped shifting correctly and the throttle just sort of groaned instead of revving even after I shifted down out of second. When I first rode the bike in first gear though the throttle worked fine. So idk. Its weird to me that a bad clutch / transmission would make my engine sound like that when I revved it.

Im sure the clutch needs work too. It is a new bike to me and when I changed the clutch lever I noticed it was empty (hydraulic) so I added the recommended fluid to it. He had 7/8 handlebars but his master controls were oem 1" so thats why I changed the clutch lever and the grips and all that. He put torn cloth to prevent his controls from moving. But thats unrelated I guess.
It shifted fine out of neutral so I didn't think the clutch had issues. But I should have gotten the air bubbles out first right? I learned that anytime my hydraulic lines get empty you have to bleed them. Is that right? Some random guy told me that.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,703 Posts
Did you ever ride it and it ran strong and shifted 1-2-3?
If there is air in the clutch system it will have a very soft lever feel and not release the clutch.
So from neutral to first it would grind badly and not go into first gear. But that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Here is something to check because it has caused problems before.
Soak up the fluid with a rag from the clutch master and look for this very tiny return port.
If it clogs it will hold pressure in the line and the clutch will slip. Clean it out with a sewing needle since it is so tiny.
Put in new fluid and see how it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you ever ride it and it ran strong and shifted 1-2-3?
If there is air in the clutch system it will have a very soft lever feel and not release the clutch.
So from neutral to first it would grind badly and not go into first gear. But that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Here is something to check because it has caused problems before.
Soak up the fluid with a rag from the clutch master and look for this very tiny return port.
If it clogs it will hold pressure in the line and the clutch will slip. Clean it out with a sewing needle since it is so tiny.
Put in new fluid and see how it is.
My master cylinder and fluid is very new so I doubt its clogged. However my clutch lever never did have a tight squeeze to it. Which isn't saying much because I've only had the bike a month or so. Anyway I was watching YouTube and I don't think my clutch/ brakes were bled properly so ill bleed them and see if that helps. I'll be able to tell it it's clogged that way too anyway.

No I never rode the bike and shifted it 1,2,3. The time I had issues was my first time riding it. Im new to motorcycles and the bike needed work to get it started. So I only paid a few hundred but I was told the engine and trans was good everything else needed work. But is my transmission bad? Would a bad clutch prevent shifting? I thought I had heard that some people rode bikes without a clutch (as a last resort)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,703 Posts
If there is air in the clutch it will not release fully and cause the shifting issues. That is the first thing to get working right then you know how the trans is.
Some guys bleed it up at the master cylinder connecting banjo bolt fist. Then down at the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
545 Posts
“The throttle still revved the engine or tried to...” Well, either it does or it doesn’t. I don’t think your bike has a center stand, so you can’t test it ‘up in the air’ stationary. A slipping clutch is where the engine will rev, but usually a little slower. You can ‘hear’ the resistance in it. The slippage is usually more pronounced in higher gears.

Yes, all hydraulic systems need to be bled for proper operation. Do that and try again. Any way you can get a recording/video?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Before and after from bleeding. I'm having a new issue now. Shifting into first seemed smooth again. But im not moving as fast now. Like in first gear the engine revs but im barely moving. I u turned it and I even had to walk my motorcycle to get it moving because it wouldn't move in first gear. It got me a few hundred feet down my street and I had to very slowly ride it back home. I'm talking just barely faster than walking the damned thing home.

And yes the drain nut thing was tight and my clutch lever had pressure and I rewatched the partzilla video I used and im 90% sure I did everything right. I don't have the pump thing so I just used their method.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 290785 View attachment 290786
Before and after from bleeding. I'm having a new issue now. Shifting into first seemed smooth again. But im not moving as fast now. Like in first gear the engine revs but im barely moving. I u turned it and I even had to walk my motorcycle to get it moving because it wouldn't move in first gear. It got me a few hundred feet down my street and I had to very slowly ride it back home. I'm talking just barely faster than walking the damned thing home.

And yes the drain nut thing was tight and my clutch lever had pressure and I rewatched the partzilla video I used and im 90% sure I did everything right. I don't have the pump thing so I just used their method.

Also I couldn't get a video im having issues with my phone. I'll try again after work tomorrow

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of "how to" clutch bleeding vids to watch
watch a few and then do it

:)
Sorry for posting so much. Let me know if
Lots of "how to" clutch bleeding vids to watch
watch a few and then do it

:)
Hey guys. Sorry for the rapid responses. Google says the going into gear but not moving with engine revs is a slipping clutch issue but I can't find a good video on how to fix it. Should I do a rebuild or adjust the clutch. Only videos I can find on adjusting the clutch is for a cable. I can't find any for hydraulic. I am really thankful to you guys. I was just about to pay a mechanic to mess with my transmission because I was so sure that was the issue. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,703 Posts
Is the lever pull very stiff? That may be the return port I was talking about. That will hold pressure in the line and not let the slave cylinder release properly, and it holds the clutch disengaged. But you have a new master cylinder correct???

Try this= work the clutch a few times with the engine off, let go of the lever, then loosen the slave cylinder bleeder screw a little bit. If pressure blows out, and after you close the bleeder, the clutch lever feels softer, there is a problem with holding pressure. Maybe be even a defective master cylinder if it is an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Is the lever pull very stiff? That may be the return port I was talking about. That will hold pressure in the line and not let the slave cylinder release properly, and it holds the clutch disengaged. But you have a new master cylinder correct???

Try this= work the clutch a few times with the engine off, let go of the lever, then loosen the slave cylinder bleeder screw a little bit. If pressure blows out, and after you close the bleeder, the clutch lever feels softer, there is a problem with holding pressure. Maybe be even a defective master cylinder if it is an aftermarket part.
Yes both my clutch and brake masters are new. Thats exactly what it felt like when I was bleeding my lines... that sucks man I didn't even buy the really cheap ones either. I didnt get the oem ones though but still. Thats annoying. Thanks man.

Just to make sure when the bleeder is tight I pumped the lever 5x and while holding the lever closed I opened the bleeder then closed bleeder again before releasing the lever. My lever got tighter but not like it should. I mean im new to this but it did get tighter. Just not as tight as my friends shadow (course his is newer so I thought that was why)

Im going to try again tomorrow before buying another new master cylinder.. anyway is there a way to make sure the pressure issue is because of my aftermarket master cylinder? Or should I just replace it and see if it helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oops
Did you burp the master cyl banjo bolt, where the line attaches?
Wrap a rag around the area as brake/clutch fluid eats paint.
Pump lever a few times and hold in.
Slightly open the banjo bolt and retighten
Do that a few times and see if it feels better, then bleed slave by pumping cutch lever 5 times slowly then hold almost all the way in, leaving a little to pull as bleeder is opened, that helps push out trapped air.
Have to get air out of banjo before slave can bleed properly
Also turn handebars so the master is ss high as possible.

Harbor freight tools has a vac bleeder system for $25
Or the $5 clear tubing and plastic catch bottle type
Seeing air then no air bubbles confirms a job done right

How is the engine/trans oil level?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts