Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about my tranny, My 1984 Shadow VT700C seems to make a lot of noise shifting up between 1 & 2nd. I can best describe it as a loud clunk. It seems to grt smoother after it warms up. Is there any way to check fluid or oil in transmission? down shifting from 5 to 4 & 2 to 1st also seems rough. Thanks for any help.

· Registered
4,689 Posts
Tranny and engine oil are the same.

Try changing to Mobil Extended Life Synthetic (just make sure the API label does not say 'Energy Conserving').

Clunky tranny's are the norm for Shadows, however, synthetics seem to help a little especially when cold.

· Registered
4,689 Posts
I'm going to amend this a little, if you have a lot of miles there have been 'discussions' that changing to a synthetic can have some negative long term affects - not sure I believe it, but the syn is capable of cleaning up a lot of deposits (some of which could be beneficial )

Some anectdotal evidence has been offered in the past about changing to syn in a car with 100k miles and then it had problems shortly thereafter.....I suspect it was due for problems either way....but just consider it as a potential for not changing to Synthetic.

I changed to syn at 26k miles and everything was fine, I am back now to dino-piss using the Rotella HD 15-40, as I think that works almost as well especially for the money.

· Registered
19 Posts
The clunk you refer to is -extremely- common in early 80's Hondas. Especially between first and second. Switching to a synthetic oil, especially in colder weather, will help some. Do your best to be firm with the shift so you're not getting caught up in neutral at higher RPM's.

· Registered
4,689 Posts
Goose33 said:
I just rolled over 24,000 miles this week. How often should I change the oil, 3000 like my car or sooner?
Yes - it is very important to keep it clean and be vigilant- keep in mind the meshing and shearing of the tranny gears the slipping and wearing of the clutch are all part of the work that the oil is doing, along with the normal work that is performed in a car motor - all the 'extra work' contibutes more to the wear and tear on the oil than it does in a car.
That is why motorcycle oil is better, but changing oil and filter often with car oil is just fine.

I usually change oil between 2500-3000 miles on the bikes, aiming toward the lower end as much as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.