Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on riding to the Wall in mid-May. I need to go from Seattle to Limon, Colorado to intercept a group starting in Ontario, CA. Seattle to Salt Lake to Cheyenne is my likely route. Based on what I am seeing on weather.com for various cities through Utah, Montana and Wyoming it looks like a cold ride. Day time highs in the 60's and nights in the 30's. Plus I'll go over some high passes between cities. So....think I'll be o.k. with leathers, a fleece under jacket, and Frogg Toggs for rain? Should I get an electric vest or liner? This will be my first long ride and it will be hard enough just to put in the miles....I don't want to be miserable from cold. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I would suggest installing a windshield for that ride. Once you have one, it's hard to go without. The cold wasn't so much of a concern as the wind is (to me) when going thru some of the mountain passes. You'll feel like it's trying to blow you off the road.
Wear layers of clothing. Get a good rain suit. Wearing a rain suit over leather will keep you very warm in cold weather keeping out the dampness.
I like to carry a thermos of hot coffee for a reststop warm up along the journey.
Watch your trip odometer so you don't run low on gas.
I don't have one yet, but a GPS would be an added accessory for finding places along the way.
Electric clothing would be an added plus, but may be working the electrical source to its limits. I have grip heaters under my grips to keep my hands warm and I feel it's one of the best mods I can have for cold riding conditions. Between the windshield and the heated grips, instead of hanging it up at 40 degrees, I can survive down to freezing now in comfort. That's just me. >PD<

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
My wife and I do a lot of multi day week long trips and what I have found doesn't work well is stopping to put on rain gear. You either stop after you are already wet, or you put it on and it doesn't rain, just make you sweat and look like the michelin man at highway speeds.

Finally went with waterproof jackets and overpants and have no regrets, alway ready throw a liner in when it's cold and they are armored.
Just have to find some suitable gloves now....they do need an over mitten to stay dry.

As far as you being cold, carry some insulated under clothing, your knees and legs can get pretty cold. Good gloves are a must, and maybe a pair of thin wool liners for your best pair of gloves. You may want to try a couple hours riding at the various low temps you suspect you will be encountering, to verify your comfort range.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Cold is your enemy -- it saps you of energy, slows your movements and dulls your thinking. I'd definitely add a windshield, get an electric vest and gauntlet gloves.

With good raingear you should be able to manage those temperatures without any more electric gear than that; you might need to stop and put on the rainpants while the sun (or moon) is shining or you may never even turn the vest on. But it's a lot better to have the vest and never use it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
K mart, Wallmart, sporting goods stores sell these packs that when exposed to air get hot. Buy many of them and put them wherever you get cold. I find the ones made to stick to socks work well stuck to the neck line of my t-shirt in the back. Put them in your pockets, down your pants, in your boots but don't try eating them.
Glen

PS I have ridden with the group coming from Ontario CA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can't tell you how much I love my heated jacket and gloves. I've had them for a couple years and they are worth every penny I spent on them. There aren't enough layers in the world to keep me warm at 60 mph and 30-degrees, but the Gerbings do it and without all the bulk. For Christmas this year, I got the adjustable controller and now I'm completely spoiled. Riding in the winter in the area mountains is much more enjoyable now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts