Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to go on my first trip on the interstate, I Ride a 2001 Sabre 1100, Bike rides great. Most highways I will ride about 60-65 MPH. what speed does everyone feel comfortable at when riding on the interstate?

·
Registered
848 Posts
On the open superslab I'm usually between 70-80..have gone up to 90 usually trying to move away from a pack of vehicles.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I go between 65-70 mph according to my speedometer (which may or may not be accurate) and get passed by every other bike on the highway.

*edited to add* The speed limit on the stretch I commute is 65mph.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
70-80. just depends.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I ride with the flow ... Don't want to be a sitting duck for faster vehicles to run over.

80 mph speeds on the bike don't bother me ..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I usually do around 70-80, depending on traffic. If it's moving faster than I bump it up to what ever the flow is. Best to be with it instead of against it IMO.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Faster than the flow of traffic. As for a set speed, anywhere from 65 to 110, depending on who, what, where and when.

I'd rather be passing traffic (worrying about what's in front of me) than being passed by traffic (wondering when I'm going to get my a$$ run over by some turd talking/texting/watching a movie on some stupid electronic device).

It may sound extreme, but I'd rather stand in front of a judge and explain why I was going over the speed limit than be carried by six to take that final celestial dirt nap.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Between 60 and 70, a little slower in the morning on my way to work..Deer are everywhere!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I usually keep it between 70-80 but have been up to 95 with no problems, around here traffic will move at 80 if its open road, 15 if its not. I try and stay with or just quicker then the faster moving cages so i know where everyone is and i can react if i need to.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm comfortable between 60-70 indicated. It seems to flow well enough with the traffic here. I really don't try to stay ahead of traffic because, for some cagers, you just can't go fast enough. So I ride in my comfort zone. I'm not timid, though. I don't want to be a rolling roadblock, either.

Yes, cars do tend to travel in little gaggles of drivers each viciously trying to pass each other. But there are often open spaces between the cattle and I will adjust my speed to stay in those spaces as much as possible. It's easier to see this at night (I do almost half my riding after dark) as you notice all the headlights and tail lights dog-fighting each other off the bow and the stern.

When I'm on the wide open highways with little traffic, I actually tend to ride at a more relaxed pace instead of going faster. I like to ride, and the faster I get to my destination, the sooner I have to get off the bike. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I'm comfortable between 60-70 indicated. It seems to flow well enough with the traffic here. I really don't try to stay ahead of traffic because, for some cagers, you just can't go fast enough. So I ride in my comfort zone. I'm not timid, though. I don't want to be a rolling roadblock, either.

Yes, cars do tend to travel in little gaggles of drivers each viciously trying to pass each other. But there are often open spaces between the cattle and I will adjust my speed to stay in those spaces as much as possible. It's easier to see this at night (I do almost half my riding after dark) as you notice all the headlights and tail lights dog-fighting each other off the bow and the stern.

When I'm on the wide open highways with little traffic, I actually tend to ride at a more relaxed pace instead of going faster. I like to ride, and the faster I get to my destination, the sooner I have to get off the bike. 8)
This.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like to ride, and the faster I get to my destination, the sooner I have to get off the bike. 8)

Amen.

When on the Interstate I tend to speed up to get to the front of the "gaggle" but then slow down to the speed of the "gaggle" when I've claimed my position up front. I don't like being behind massive vehicles (semis specifically - though I have noticed they are MUCH more bike friendly than their civilian counterparts!).

Typically my speed is about 70-73 mph. Going that fast allows me to hang out a little longer in the left lane (though I always get over as soon as I see someone approaching - no matter how far back). Illinois is poor - so our roads suck and the right lane sees more traffic = crappier road conditions than the left lane.

Whenever I'm on highways or alone on the Interstate I ride however fast or slow I feel like riding based on conditions. 'Round these parts I ALWAYS slow down ~10mph on highways where the woods come close to the road. Deer are everywhere.

FreakShow

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.