Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just got a new battery for the 1987 VT 1100 and I tried to charge it. The charger was connected to a power strip which has an ON-OFF and a Reset button. I left it overnight only to find it this morning in the OFF position. Could a trickle charger actually trigger it to the OFF position? I am going to plug the charger directly into the outlet, hopefully I'll avoid situations like this in the future.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
nada, it's a physical impossibility. The ON/OFF switch can only be turned off manually. Albeit, the red indicator light may go off on it's own to signal an overload, if that's what you meant instead. I've had my tender plugged into a power strip as well to a wall outlet, and the tender hasn't overloaded the power strip. Of course, that's with the particular appliances that I have plugged into the my power strip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron! I discovered the cause! It was the wife, she saw the power cord on and thought we can save some electricity, didn't realize something was actually being plugged in and working and turned it to the OFF position. That being said, the battery was charging for about 7 hours when she turned it to OFF. A few hours later I tried to start the bike and there was no juice left. Is it possible that the charger, being in the OFF position sucked out most of it? I'm puzzled.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts

Originally Posted by mitica100

....That being said, the battery was charging for about 7 hours when she turned it to OFF. A few hours later I tried to start the bike and there was no juice left. Is it possible that the charger, being in the OFF position sucked out most of it? I'm puzzled.
+1 for taking the effort to charge your battery. I ony hope it rubs off on other riders. With the price of tenders nowadays, even the Battery Plus tender, there's little excuse to not invest in a battery tender.

I'm not an electrical expert, as in, I don't have the faintest idea what the difference is between a regular charger and a "trickle" charger. From the product literature, the Battery Tender Plus that I own myself, "is protected from reverse current, so it will not discharge the battery." I surmise, that's with the power OFF while the battery remains connected.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
A trickle charger left on too long will over charge your battery and cause ti to over heat and boil out the fluid (I know first hand) Get a float charger that shuts off or floats when the battery is fully charged. That way you can leave it on all the time and not worry about wrecking the battery.
They sell a couple different brands at Walmart for $18 each and they work very well.

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts
from recent experience(2weeks ago),,,the battery tender plus will charge your new battery, if it is a low as mine (drained) it may take 16-19 hours to charge it up,,,

the charger/maintainer at walmart was $20.00 and will bring the charge up faster than the battery tender,,,both have nearly indentical purposes and attachments.

mark

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
from recent experience(2weeks ago),,,the battery tender plus will charge your new battery, if it is a low as mine (drained) it may take 16-19 hours to charge it up,,,

the charger/maintainer at walmart was $20.00 and will bring the charge up faster than the battery tender,,,both have nearly indentical purposes and attachments.

mark
The Walmart charger(Schumacher) charges faster then the Battery Tender jr. because it's rated at 1.5a and the Jr. is .75A. If you buy a Battery Tender plus it's rated at 1.5A.

·
Registered
188 Posts
a 1a or 1.5a tender is the most you want to use. it measures voltage over time to vary the current..... being that most of the internals are digital I believe..... schumacher has come out with like 3 different varieties in the past 2 years.... their newest is just a new case I think but it auto shuts off and on and detects 12v and 6v batteries. I use it on my bike only the night before I play to ride if it sits for more than a week. a healthy battery should be able to hold a charge for weeks or more on its own.... a charger or tender could just confuse the battery and help shorten its lifespan by over-working the cells

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Careful with that one. Don't use anything higher then 2a. That one is battery tender and not a charger so don't leave it on longer then necessary to charge your battery.
It's the XC6 model and it seems to function as both a maintenance charger and a battery charger.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Yes, that's the one I have (Schumacher brand) and it has worked well for me. I had originally bought it to keep the deep cycle battery in my boat fully charged when I wasn't using it. I switch it back and forth between bikes all winter long to keep them fully charged all winter now. You can't beat it for the price.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's a question:

Let's say it's a given that my bike will sit for a six month period where I won't have easy access.

Would it be a good idea to plug the battery tender into a lamp timer and have it charge for a few hours every day (thus giving it a little tending, but not pulling power every day 24/7?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts