Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an add on C/L. Guy was describing the bike and said it was garage kept on a trickle charger. Is this common?

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Yes, it helps keep the battery fesh. Some people always keep them hooked up when parked. Me only when it's going to be parked for a long time, so no need here.
Coop

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Battery Tender (tm). ~$20-$25.00. You can set up quick connect/disconnect on your battery, automatically charges and keeps it charged. Excellent investment. If the guy did that, he was taking care of his battery.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
should be common if ya wanna take care of your battery.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Is it true that you should use Battery Tender instead if a trickle charger?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Battery Tender (tm). ~$20-$25.00. You can set up quick connect/disconnect on your battery, automatically charges and keeps it charged. Excellent investment. If the guy did that, he was taking care of his battery.
I use three of these. They work great and saved me some $$

Automatic Battery Float Charger - 12V

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The Battery Tender​
Plus battery charger delivers 1.25 amperes during bulk charge
mode, holds the battery charge voltage constant at 14.4 VDC during absorption charge
mode until the battery charge current drops to 0.1 amperes at which time it then
automatically switches to a float charge mode. During float charge mode, the output
voltage of the Battery Tender
Plus battery charger is 13.2 VDC, which is well below the
gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. This keeps the battery topped off, while
minimizing any detrimental effects to do gassing. The Battery Tender
Plus battery
charger is able to perform these complex switching functions because its electronic
circuitry is controlled by an on board microprocessor.
Although they often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer,
trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore,
as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels,
the output voltage of the charger rises well above 15 VDC, sometimes even going higher
that 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. Either
voltage is well above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains
connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, even less than 1
day, extreme damage can be done to the battery. What appears to be a cost savings for

the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Battery Maintainer: An automatic charger that turns on and off as needed to keep the battery in a "float" state (between 12 and 14 volts).

Trickle Charger: Normally charges at 1.5 or 2 amps does not automatically turn off and no "float state".

·
Registered
404 Posts
Use a battery tender on both of our bikes every time we pull them in the garage. If it is for an hour or a week or whatever it goes on the tender. We have quick connects that hang behind our side covers and it is easy and worth it. I have a 2003 VTX 1800 and I am still on the original battery. Tell me it doesn't make a difference.

Here is a link to what we use also you should read the info on their website about why it makes your battery life so much better.

Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Batterytender.com

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Hmm. I should have defined "trickle." Oh well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.