Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've joined this forum to help me with some technical information for my vtwin honda project. So I'll start putting up some photos of the project until I get to where I'm at now and then I'll have plenty of questions about how to get this thing running.Keep in mind that it's being built just for fun and because I can. It would never pass registration here in Australia and probably won't see much road use. So I'm not too concerned about things like performance,handling,fuel economy, front brakes or safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
So all the criteria you mentioned that isn't important why you need the forum. Quite obvious you cut up a perfectly good Shadow but to each their own. This is a MC forum and trikes lets say aren't as popular with the masses. I'm sure some folk will chime in on your adventure and you might still invoke some interest in triking so to speak.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sounds like a fun buy major project to do it right. As for trike popularity for some, sometimes a trike is the only option to keep riding.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Zombie, I'm right there in the same boat. I started this project and took two years to complete it. Completely home built. Of course I didn't build the engine or transaxle from scratch but I did REbuild them. Frame, shifter, wiring.... At some point during construction my wonderful native state (Texas) saw fit to completely outlaw them. No grandfather clause, no posibility of a legal registration. Nohow..no way. Only one thing to do. I didn't waste two years of my life working on this thing only to have some damn bureaucrat tell me he doesn't like them. Arkansas will welcome me and my tax revenue with open arms. I'm searching for property there now. Always did like the Ozarks. I'll be moving there along with my vehicle taxes by springtime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So all the criteria you mentioned that isn't important why you need the forum. Quite obvious you cut up a perfectly good Shadow but to each their own. This is a MC forum and trikes lets say aren't as popular with the masses. I'm sure some folk will chime in on your adventure and you might still invoke some interest in triking so to speak.
Thanks for your replies, but obviously I didn't cut up a good shadow.? In fact the only shadow part I have is the engine.This could be the wrong forum? But I was hoping to find some knowledgeable people who know their way around these engines. And to help with my questions about electrics, cooling ,etc etc . My first question is (see photo) which way does this Rotate? Or the rotation direction of the drive shaft? You see without cranking the motor over I don't know and I need to build a differential to suit

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Zombie, most members of the general public aren't used to coloring outside the lines. I certainly am and I see you are too.
I looked at the manual and without seeing it in person I hate to say,but..
There will be a thrust bearing on one side or the other of that gear. That will be the direction that the rotation tends to force the driven gear toward. Also, close inspection of the gear teeth should identify the direction of rotation easily. Look for the wear patch on each tooth.
Differential? A good robust lawn tractor or a four-wheeler rear end?

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Yeah, I`m in mind of building a Trike with my 96V4 Magna frame, frontend and motor...
The wife would like to ride and can no longer throw her leg over a standard Bike...

Again, Welcome ;)
D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Thanks for your replies, but obviously I didn't cut up a good shadow.? In fact the only shadow part I have is the engine.This could be the wrong forum? But I was hoping to find some knowledgeable people who know their way around these engines. And to help with my questions about electrics, cooling ,etc etc . My first question is (see photo) which way does this Rotate? Or the rotation direction of the drive shaft? You see without cranking the motor over I don't know and I need to build a differential to suit

For my trike build I flipped a toyota caldina diff upside down (IRS) as its gearing matched the final gear ratio of the 750... but my buid is on hold until I have time again.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm a member in the BTW (Brothers of the Third Wheel) worldwide club. Pretty much all of the members are folks who rode motorcycles but for one reason or another just can't any more. While I can still ride a bike, I just built a trike because I think they're cool and I just wanted to take it on as a project. Halfway through the construction, the idiots at TXDOT outlawed all vehicles with home-built frames, including trikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've included another photo of the right angled gearbox with the splined drive. I've also inspected the teeth and the wear would indicate that the beveled gear spins anti-clockwise and therefore the splined driveshaft anti clockwise. But I'm still not 100% sure.... I suppose the easiest way would be to crank the engine over by hand and see which way it drives. But I've heard some of these honda engines actually rotate backwards??

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks also for diff ideas. im still undecided. I've got a mate who can narrow a small car one for me. I just don't wont to set it up and find out it goes fast, in reverse ..

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Thanks also for diff ideas. im still undecided. I've got a mate who can narrow a small car one for me. I just don't wont to set it up and find out it goes fast, in reverse ..

That is why I turned the diff upside down.... the drive shaft does turn the opposite way to most cars

Going independent and diff upside down meant that I could leave the RH side shaft std length and only need to shorten the RH side, I used the std arms just moved them closer to the center

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice work there Leathel and flipping the diff makes sense. And definitely cheaper using the 2 short axles to make one. I think I'll do the same but I need a none IRS to mount to the modified swingarm. Maybe we'll use to short axle sides off the front of a 4WD vehicle. I've heard of Beezers idea of a lawn tractor/mower diff or a golf cart? but I havnt looked at one. I've only seen chain drive versions .

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome to the forum, brother. Looking forward to seeing your build develop. Whereabouts in Oz are you? I'll be moving to Darwin in August.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forum, brother. Looking forward to seeing your build develop. Whereabouts in Oz are you? I'll be moving to Darwin in August.
Thanks. I'm down in central Victoria. Darwin,would be an awesome place to live. You'll need to drink plenty of beer in that tropical heat💦💦

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I used a 1977 VW IRS transaxle and engine for the rear end of my trike project in progress in my shop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts