Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am working on a trip this summer. (cold weather does that, sitting at my desk) lol if any one wants to jump in on any of the legs. let me know, I am thinking july -aug time frame...
here is a pic for the route I would like to take.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I would like to try that... For the first map I let streets plot out the route, with a little input from me. so it did plot mostly super slabs and I might just pick as I go on some of it.
:D
I have family in Sandiego, portland, spokane, salmon, so that was the main pionts I am heading too. any path along the way is good :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
I'd highly recommend the Cali Coast (Hwy 1) from Cambria to the south end of the SF Bay Area. Not THAT much additional time to travel north (vs. Hwy 5), and well worth it, if you don't get out here much.

Some incredible views along the way, particularly south of Monterey. Pic spots that you could use for a calendar!

You can cut over from Hwy 1 to the Bay Area in quite a few different spots. Santa Cruz (Hwy 17), San Gregorio (Hwy 84/La Honda Rd.), Half Moon Bay (Hwy 92).

I recommend San Gregorio. Taking the 84 to Skyline (Hwy 35), you can stop for lunch at the FAMOUS 'Alice's Restaurant'. 8) Also some VERY nice sweepers and twisties to get to Alice's.

Continue 84 to 280 (more 84 twisties :twisted: ), then north on 280 to and through SF. 280 has some nice scenic views, and is 3-4 lanes wide in most spots, with 2 scenic rest stops along the way!

Cali coast can get nippy during those months; I'm sure you'll have some warm gear packed for the long trip.

Google Earth is also a friendly viewing/mapping/location site. Gives you satellite views of areas you're curious about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Solo said:
It's going to ba a hot one. Plan for HIGH temps anywhere south of and including Las Vegas.
What he said. No, really!

Seriously, from about Cedar City UT to Victorville CA you'll be broiling in 110-degree+ temps. Then you're dealing with LA traffic, which is no picnic until you get to Santa Barbara.

You are of course welcome to head my way, and I'm definitely down to meet up with you. But if it was my trip, I'd say cut off the southern part and head west instead from SLC through Tahoe and into Cali. Then southwest to San Simeon or Carmel and back north on Hwy 1 to Portland and points east. Better weather, plenty of awesome sights along the way, plus you won't have to deal with quite as much of that "I'm sitting underneath a giant hairdryer for 700 miles" feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bookman1995 said:
Solo said:
It's going to ba a hot one. Plan for HIGH temps anywhere south of and including Las Vegas.
What he said. No, really!

Seriously, from about Cedar City UT to Victorville CA you'll be broiling in 110-degree+ temps. Then you're dealing with LA traffic, which is no picnic until you get to Santa Barbara.

You are of course welcome to head my way, and I'm definitely down to meet up with you. But if it was my trip, I'd say cut off the southern part and head west instead from SLC through Tahoe and into Cali. Then southwest to San Simeon or Carmel and back north on Hwy 1 to Portland and points east. Better weather, plenty of awesome sights along the way, plus you won't have to deal with quite as much of that "I'm sitting underneath a giant hairdryer for 700 miles" feeling.
Good point, I might look at doing that and then doing a 2nd one down south to see the other part of the family maybe later in the year when temps start to drop a bit....
what do you think the best time of the year is for your area?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
101 on the Oregon coast is gorgeous! My best friend and I are planning a coastal trip this summer too - maybe they will coincide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Junction City, Oregon here.
60 miles inland from Florence.
101 is great at times...
Sometimes just bumper to bumper RV's and no view of coast anyway.
Not much from Calif border till Florence.
Bandon has been fun when not fogged in.
Great from there to past Newport and beyond aways.
Thing is, unless you are a ocean guy, the backroads on the river valleys are the best.
PM us when you get close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I am goign to be doing a "short" run to vegas from idaho......
I am thinking I will leave idaho falls on 5-13 and returning from vegas to idaho falls on the 15th.

so any one wants I will be going both south and north....
I will PM some people who have contacted me also to see if anyone wants to ride part / all the way. as far as I know it will just be me the entire route for this one. so any one is welcome.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RiverWolf said:
Junction City, Oregon here.
60 miles inland from Florence.
101 is great at times...
Sometimes just bumper to bumper RV's and no view of coast anyway.
Not much from Calif border till Florence.
Bandon has been fun when not fogged in.
Great from there to past Newport and beyond aways.
Thing is, unless you are a ocean guy, the backroads on the river valleys are the best.
PM us when you get close.
Sounds good. I should have my laptop, (and maybe internet) at any of the night stops so I will do that. Also When it starts getting closer I will get the plans more ironed out as to when and where....

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Let me know when you are due in the very south, San Diego area, I would love to escort you into and out of our fine city here. I am sure there are many other riders on this forum that would join me.

Nice plan, hope it works out.

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dragoon said:
Let me know when you are due in the very south, San Diego area, I would love to escort you into and out of our fine city here. I am sure there are many other riders on this forum that would join me.

Nice plan, hope it works out.

Cheers.
thanks that would be great.
San Diego will be one of my planned stops for a day or so...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top