Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys.

I'm an english rider (i messed up my forum reg and don't know how to change my timezone again, urgh, nevermind!) with a Honda Shadow 125cc (VT125) 95model.

(here) http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/235/5/3/Honda_Shadow_VT125_by_Bonesy.jpg

He's been my beetle-round-bike for about a year now and after a period of illness Hugo, as he's known to me, unfortunately stood for quite some time with the fuel tap on. He was a bit stiff when I dragged him out earlier in the month but he did pass his MOT alright.

Anyhow, down to my point, this all meant tidying and checking everything and he's had a dicky cylinder barrel on the front for as long as I've had him and recently the thread has gotten worse in it. It's obviously been very badly crossthreadded at some point or another and bodged to hold it steady.

I had to change the plugs and went about this but the thread has gotten to such a point the bike continually misfires on that front cylinder all the time. I want to get it repaired and know it'll involve stripping down the engine to do but I feel I need to do it. It's bugging me, it not only irritates not having the power and just knowing it's incorrect, but it's unsafe if it were to go pop!

Anybody have any experience replacing cylinder barrels on these? if you do one is it worth doing both? What sort of working area would you need and timeframe? Where would you get a barrel from, as I've searched scrappers and other areas and nowhere has one let alone two.

I'm also having a problem since I dragged Hugo from his Oxford blankets of the trip meter has become stroppy.

Today returning from work and hopping on, I turned the key and the odometer flashes 0.0miles.

Odd, i think, it said 10.2 earlier when I got here. Nevermind, I expect it will sort itself out, maybe I pressed something. Got halfway home. Still reads 0.0miles. Home, still the same. Took off my bulky gloves and gave the button a good press and I can't even get the mileage up anymore, used to press once for either trip or miles and press and hold 5 secs to reset the trip. It's just stuck now and won't budge.

Any thoughts guys please? It's driving me nuts as I rely on reaching 135 miles to know I need more fuel, lol! :shock:

Cheers!
Sophie.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Hi Sophie, welcome to the group!

Those VT125s were never for sale here in the US, but if they were, I would certainly own one. That is such a fun size class!

I don't know if it's a mis-communications between the Queen's English and Yankee English, but I'm having a tough time figuring out exactly what the problem is.

You say that the front cylinder is barrel is "dicky." In my understanding, that means a very generic sort of "messed up." Any details you could provide would be very helpful in determining what you need to do to correct. In many, if not most, cases, complete replacement of a cylinder is not needed. At the most, the existing cylinder bore (I believe you are calling it the barrel) can be machined, rebored, and be back in business at a fraction of the cost of replacement.

Does Hugo burn much oil? That could be a good indication what's going on inside as well.

Describe what happens when the front cylinder starts to misbehave. Does hugo suddenly have half the power, like flipping a switch, or does it falter as though it's growing stronger and weaker several times per minute?

Does it only do it when it's hot, or does it do it from first starting cold?

As for your trip meter, does the regular odometer work correctly and does the speedometer read correctly?

Answer a few of these questions, and we'll get Hugo back to his regular self again!

--Justin

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Welcome Sophie!

As Justin said, the VT125's were never sold here in the US, so bear with us as we do not know much about these bikes.

If the threading for the spark plug hole is getting that bad, you can probably have it rebored and threaded. Not sure how expensive this could be, but probably less expensive than having the cylinder replaced.

As for the trip meter, sounds like you have an electrical one. My first impression would be you have a loose connection somewhere; but I would assume your odometer would not work as well. Depends if they are separate or not.

Good luck with your issues!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
if it's the spark plug thread it's the head that will have to be removed, I have repaired one in a car for a friend without removing the head but it's very risky to do without risking getting metal chips in the engine but I used a few tricks to help stop that from happening but anyhow this site gives the breakdown of how to do it.
How to Repair Stripped Spark Plug Threads: Auto Clinic - Popular Mechanics

Dauntae

1 - 4 of 4 Posts