Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just had a question and wondering if anyone has some insight on my issue. when im riding and i switch to 3rd gear.. my shadow accelerates but as a pause and go. so it will accelerate then stop a little then accelerate again then stops and it just repeats. i can only go up to 40 mph anything higher i start to have this issue. It all started after i swapped out my stock handlebars. let me know if anyone has an idea of what could be the issue since i just started riding this past month. Kinda want to have an idea before i have a mechanic try and fix my issue!

thanks again shadow family!

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
Does it jerk and misfire and lose power, or just bog down and can't go any faster?
Any different engine sounds when it happens? Popping?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it jerk and misfire and lose power, or just bog down and can't go any faster?
Any different engine sounds when it happens? Popping?
yeah it starts to like jerk like its losing powering but when i go back into 2nd gear it accelerates fast up until 40 mph. no doesnt pop. it does bog down and just cant go any faster yeah.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly the fuel supply is faltering.
How many miles on it?
If it is an 2011 it is fuel injected and some guys have had the fuel filter clog up and the pump failing.
All one unit in a small fuel tank.

it has 6.4 miles on it. Hmm so would you suggest a fuel injector clean? It was sitting in a garage for 6 years after being bought from a used dealership just wasn’t driven.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
6.4 miles???
Anyway if the fuel pump and filter have a problem a fuel injection clean won't fix it.
It can't hurt to try though.
It is hard to measure the pump pressure which can be up to 50 pounds without a FI fuel pressure test kit for the clip on fitting and adapters.

Reactions: RUPENSTINSKY

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6.4 miles???
Anyway if the fuel pump and filter have a problem a fuel injection clean won't fix it.
It can't hurt to try though.
It is hard to measure the pump pressure which can be up to 50 pounds without a FI fuel pressure test kit for the clip on fitting and adapters.

Hi! Sorry 6.4k miles! I siphoned out my gas tank and saw that it was a lil rusty. So I put some fuel injector cleaner in it and a new tank of non ethanol gas( been pumping it with like 4 different types of premium 10% ethanol the past 3 weeks) because I was told doing that isn’t good. So I went out my way to drive 30 mins for non ethanol gas. Took her out today and she’s running a lot better. Going to follow up on an inspecting the fuel pump filter to see if needs to be swapped out! Thanks again for your time and input! Happy holidays!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts