Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and searched before I posted.

Does anyone know a TRUE way to get the actual Google Maps Route imported to a Garmin?

I am taking my time to get the route from TX to NH the way I want it (with any suggested detours) and want to get it on my Garmin. The bike has a Garmin mount on the Batwing so I obviously want to put it to good use.

So far I cannot find anything.
I've read the posts about:
Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com
Map Bike Rides with Elevation Profiles, Analyze Cycling Performance, Train Better. Ride With GPS
H-D Ride Planner Overview | Harley-Davidson USA
Streets & Trips

I've used MS ST for road trips to Disney in the car but never able to export them to a GPS. Maybe the new version, but then I have to worry about getting suggested routes from members into it.

Do I just toss a ziploc baggie around my Android phone and use Navigator (and a chit of data usage) and hope I ride in cell service the whole way????

GGGGRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
64 Posts
My GPS does not support saved routes.

I spend time the night before each leg programing each waypoint as a favorite into my Garmin 255W.

Then the next day I program in my ultimate destination for that day, then each waypoint as a "via point" to make the GPS take me the way I want to go.

PITA, but the only way I have found to make the $%%*^ GPS use the route I want to follow.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What have you tried? A couple of options:
- in google maps (after you sign in), create your route then "Send" and it will give you the option to send it to a garmin unit, as long as it is connected via USB and you have the garmin communicator installed. Once loaded, go to your data file on the garmin (or routes, can't remember) and you can import the route, et voila!
- for ride with gps (or most routing software), save the route as a GPX format, copy it to your garmin data routes folder, and then import.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
- in google maps (after you sign in), create your route then "Send" and it will give you the option to send it to a garmin unit, as long as it is connected via USB and you have the garmin communicator installed. Once loaded, go to your data file on the garmin (or routes, can't remember) and you can import the route, et voila!
- for ride with gps (or most routing software), save the route as a GPX format, copy it to your garmin data routes folder, and then import.
Tried that, (Nuvi 760) but all it does (and everything I've read so far says) it just saves the ultimate destination. Not the route.:-x

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Tried that, (Nuvi 760) but all it does (and everything I've read so far says) it just saves the ultimate destination. Not the route.:-x
Ok here's what you do.

1.Go to google maps and get your route selected
2. Select print
3. Select Show large map
4.Print
5.Put directions on clip board
6. Have wife come with you
7. Get travel mikes
8.Have wife read directions in her sexy garmin impersonation voice
:D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I asked the guy at the store where I bought my wife's Garmin unit. He told me that Garmin doesn't support Google maps and that it can't be done. Try ridewithgps.com. That's supposed to work.

Mike

ps, don't know if the guy at the store was just bullshitting me or not. I tried everything and I couldn't get it to work with Google

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I forgot I found one years ago. Bookmarked it and used it a handful of times. Haven't needed it in years as once I know the roads, I know them.

This works great.
GMapToGPX Communications From Elsewhere
Yes, the above link is as close as you're going to get, as far as I know.
Otherwise, as you found out, the GPS will just accept the end points and plan its own route based on its own routing engine and the avoidances you selected.

I used to research this stuff for my own use quite a bit several years ago.

Honestly, I just gave up. Too much time spent playing with the GPS getting it to do what I wanted compared to the amount of time it took me to find a good route in the first place. And if you make a mistake, you often don't know about it until you're already on the road.

I found that it was faster to plan my own route on Google Maps (very good for determining mileage between towns and crossroads, and even better for playing around with alternative routes), mark my chosen route on a paper map to bring along, and write down the directions on paper, which I put on my tank bag, to follow as I ride.

On my GPS, I'll just bookmark the main points along to the way so I can check in if I'm unsure or get lost. The GPS stays off most of the time.

I'm not GPS phobic. They are a great traveling aid. But they are still not as efficient at custom route planning as a do-it-yourself approach. On the other hand, if you just want to get to a destination and you're more than happy to follow the fastest way...a GPS saves a lot of time and is quite reliable.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've used ridewithgps to get detailed waypoints and the route loaded. I have the same gps as you but what I find is that the route gets odd if you miss a turn or take a slight variation. It keeps trying to get you back to the waypoint that you missed. So I use ridewithgps to find the roads I am looking for rather than following step by step on the gps.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This works for the newer ones I know for sure. I have a Garmin 3490 and a 2495 (2012 series devices) and I did this to plot the Bikers for Babies route. It sent it over the exact way it was laid out on Google maps.

Any of the newer ones with Trip Planner should do it. Does the 760 have Trip Planner? I can try to play around with some older devices when I get to work on Monday, or at least ask someone.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looked at manaul for your GPS and don't see where it accepts importing routes, only making the route on the actually gps. I had to get a new gps to be able to import actual routes and not just the pts.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tools, My Data, Import route from file... Nuvi 760. I've been meaning to get a new one anyway.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a Zumo 600 and I've never found a way to use Google Maps but I use the Harley Ride Planner and it works great. There are a couple of Garmin software patches you need though no matter what you use.

·
Registered
506 Posts
No Trip planner just Route planner.
Let me know...thanks!
I tried a couple different things (including using Mapquest and Google Maps) and asked around. It won't work for the 760. If you want to use one of those to plot your own route, you're going to have to upgrade to a newer model that uses Trip Planner. (Unless you want to use one of the other options suggested for other software that may work.)

If you're thinking of going with the 1350LMT that you linked in the other thread, I'm pretty sure that one won't do it either. I would look at the 24x5 series. Probably the 2455LT or LMT (depending on if you want Lifetime Map updates for free).

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I sold my Nuvi 760 yesterday so I need to do something :)
I WANT the 3490LMT but I think the 2495LMT is more within my budget.... unless of course that employee discount can be extended ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.