Honda Shadow Forums banner
121 - 124 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried using FlexSeal instead of the 3M stuff to seal the rim? Should work, right? Also, did you have to be careful around where the stem goes through? I got everything I think I'll need for the rear, since putting on a car tire (bike is not going to lean, since have Voyager-type kit on the back, making it like a trike). Had given the bike to a friend with stage 4 liver cancer, and he added the kit so he could ride with us, and then passed last year, and his wife recently gave us back the bike, with the kit on it. Wife has always wanted a trike, so thought I would leave it that way for her, but wanted better traction on the back, and cheaper tires that last longer, too. Figured I'd just seal the rim, like this, and install the car tire. I already have another tire for the front, too, but with tube and rim strip. Just need to find a shop that will install them.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
The 3M sealant is tried and true. I'm still running with it in the VLX over 7 years later with no leaks. Just be sure to wipe it away from the area where you'll install a new valve stem (the seating area). The rubber grommet from the valve stem will seal that area. As a reminder too, keep any sealant off the tire bead area too. I haven't a clue about FlexSeal. You could always be the Guinea Pig. :cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 3M sealant is tried and true. I'm still running with it in the VLX over 7 years later with no leaks. Just be sure to wipe it away from the area where you'll install a new valve stem (the seating area). The rubber grommet from the valve stem will seal that area. As a reminder too, keep any sealant off the tire bead area too. I haven't a clue about FlexSeal. You could always be the Guinea Pig. :cool:
Just thought that since FlexSeal is a rubber sealing compound, and pretty thick, it would be good, and if you put a few layers on, it should hold, especially since it's made to keep out water, anyway.

121 - 124 of 124 Posts