Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Shadow Areo and would like to change spoke wheels for tubeless tire wheels. Any suggestions ? Feedback ? Is this possible ?

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
Why don't you make your spoked wheels tubeless? All it takes is a couple tubes of 3M 5200 and a couple valve stems.

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
A couple of ways=

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
However, a few things to consider:
Tubeless: When you get a flat you can rapidly repair with a plug (don't use goo) and a pump, however best practices say a plug is an emergency repair to get home and then you need to replace the tire.
Tubed: When you get a flat you need to remove the tire and replace the tube and that's more difficult on the side of the road but the tire is OK

So: First 10 years, tubed, I got no flats. Next 20 years tubeless and I had 3 flats. The first time I had no tire plug kit. Had to tow the bike to a mechanic. He wouldn't plug the tire because I had a long way to ride to get home. Took a few days for a new tire to be delivered. Next flat, I had the tire plug kit but my portable air compressor failed. Four hours later, the tow guy had an air compressor. When I got home I was told a plug is a temporary fix (it makes the hole larger) and I should replace the tire. I don't know but who wants to take a chance with tires? 3rd time lucky. I had a $20 tire plug kit and a $40 air compressor that I had been carrying for about 8 years. Every time I looked at them I thought: jeez that takes up a lot of space, but now I had them so plugged and inflated. Back home I still buy a new tire.

In 1995 I bought a spoked/tubed ACE so stuffed an inner tube in a leather toolkit pouch. In 20 years I got 2 flats but now we all have cell phones. Called the tow guy to tow it to nearest mechanic. Tube in . Tire is still good. When I got home I bought another spare tube and rim strip $20

Morals of the story: you don't get a lot of flats. When a calamity happens you will not have the correct tool/part/ability/lighting/energy to correct the problem. Tubeless ends up costing more money while tubed makes you feel inadequate. This is why we do it.

G.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts