Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, It's Dusty again with another stupid question. I just bought a nice 88 shadow 600. The bike has sat for about three months I was told it would need a minor tune-up before it goes on a good sized run. I have made a couple of calls to local shops and I am getting price's of $600 and $700 . Why would a tune cost that much? What do they do for that kind of money. I bought my first bike a year ago and they know that are they just marking it up?
Thank you in advance
Dusty

·
Registered
76 Posts
tune up

as far as i know....tune-ups are normally plugs/oil change/ filter change/check tires and small stuff that goes with a regular maintence exam of your bike. I dont think $600-700 dollars is right for a "tune-up". Maybe $60 -$70 range but then again most people on this site like myself, do their own tune-ups and maintence check-ups.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe they are figuring having to pull, clean, and adjust the carbs. I still think they're asking too much. Are they giving a guarantee it will run like new for that price?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plugs, oil and filter is something I can do myself. I have never worked on the carb for a bike or the valves. Would be the difference? I dont think the bike needs surgery just is TLC.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Get a manual and take it step-by-step. None of it is hard, just tedious at times.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bid on the manual on ebay today. The only place I could it. The time and the interest to learn I have. Just not looking forward to a huge bill, but this is IF I have to is worth it. Thank you of responding.

·
Registered
335 Posts
No problem. The Honda shop manual is the best one out there. If you have any wrenching experience on cars it won't be too big a learning curve, and might even give you the excuse to buy some more tools (Well, it IS still going to be cheaper than the $700 the shop wants, plus next time I'll already have the tool!) Blessings to you as you get your new ride on the road! 8)

·
Registered
943 Posts
find an independent mechanic.........what you got listed was what the honda shop manual calls major service.

Still, thats about 8 hours worth of work, a decent mechanic can just about strip the bike to the frame, and rebuild it in that amount of time

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bowlbug, if you haven't got the manual yet go to this site and open manuals from the left menu bar. Your '88 factory manual is there in pdf form and in english.
http://www.vt600.net/index.htm

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
What they "SHOULD" do in a tune-up process is:

Adjust the valves (they rarely actually do),
Check & Regap/Replace plugs;
Check Battery health (load test it);
Check tires and pressures;
Check all cables for proper operation and adjustment;
Change oil and filter;
Check and/or Replace coolant;
Check/Replace air filter;
Synchronize the carburuetors;
Check/adjust idle speed;
Adjust rear brakes;
Check/replace brake fluid;
Check/Replace all lights;
Check Horn;
Check/Adjust drive chain;

$600-$700 is a bit high for this type of service.
Most shops are going to charge in the $65-$90/hr shop time plus
any parts/materials.
For this type of service, you should be looking to pay more along the lines of $200-$300 at a reputable dealer.

If you have any mechanical ability, there is no reason you can't do any
of this yourself, with the manual.
With only sitting for 3 months, your carburetors should not need to be
disassembled and cleaned.
The gas will be a little weak, but still has not set long enough to cause
any 'tear down' damage.
Fill up with some good quality gas (major brand) and put the recommended about of SeaFoam or Techron in the tank with the fill up
and do the recommended checks/service. Go out and ride it for a 50-100 miles and you should be good to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts