Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told there are several tunnels on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Fancy Gap Va and Cherokee NC. Is this true and how many are there?

Thanks Ced

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Many, prolly a dozen between Fancy Gap and the end of the BRP at Cherokee.

Most are short, just going through a sharp ridge, a few longer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you are wearing sunglasses when going thru, be prepared to move them down and look over the top of them, otherwise you won't be able to see in the dark.
Tim

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lisa said:
afraid of the dark ced? :D
Depends on who I am with.....
8)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
On the trip I took down that way last year we were riding in the foggy mist on Skyline Drive. I was in the tailgunner spot with 3 bikes in front of me. I could very rarely see the lead bike and the second bike maybe 50% of the time. We are riding along and came to a stretch where it was getting darker, darker, darker and BAM just like that I am in a tunnel! Scared the snot outta me.

There's a bunch of them on the BRP and one spot has at least 3 in a half mile stretch. There are also a few bridges that sort of hang out over the mountain somewhere in Virginia I think. That was a little spooky in the mist. :lol:

Like has been said, lower your shades when approaching the tunnels. They are marked about 100 yards or so before you actually get to them. There is at least one that has some potholes in it so be careful.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Be careful in the fog! We found a lost SEMI on the Blue Ridge parkway between Ashville & Waynesville, STOPPED in front of a Tunnel because he was too high for the Tunnel!!! What he was doing there is beyond me.

We literally were going 5 MPH at the time, with visibility less than 50'. It came on so quick: One minute it was light rain and 1/4 mile visibility, and 3 minutes later you could barely see 50 feet away!!
I was riding lead in a group of 3 Goldwings, with about 5 BMW's behind our group.

The rear of the semi came out of the fog like a Brick Wall!!!

I hollered STOP over the CB, and then explained why... The last Goldwing Laid on his Airhorns, and the Beemer's reacted by slowing down.

We inched around the Truck, through the tunnel, and about 3 miles later we pulled into a gas station on the Parkway....

Fortuneately there was a Police Officer there, and at first he didn't believe me, but when we all walked up waving our arms about the "Idiot Trucker" he got on his radio, and proceed toward the tunnel.

When we got to our motel later that day, we learned that a helicopter with Soldiers in it went down somewhere near there. They found them a week later....

BE CAREFUL IN THE FOG!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I look forwrd to them. every time I am there its raining!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, the tunnels can be a real challenge. Two years ago, coming back from the Honda Hoot I was surprised by a long tunnel on I-40, between Tenn and NC. We were moving at about 70 mph with the sun just bright enough to need sunglasses. With a flip front helmet I didn't have time to take the sunglasses off or slip them down. If I hadn't been following a Goldwing 1800 with bright taillights, I would have probably gone down. The road was very rough in the tunnel and I could not see a thing! Very scary!!!!
Peace,

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Watch out for deer on the BRP. I saw at least a dozen when I was on it. Don't remember the tunnels though.

I do remember the unnels on I-40 there before Ashevelle too...

Gonz

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also, concerning said tunnels, I have seen green moss like growth on the road near the entrance and exits to some of these. You gotta think the stuff is slick.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
cedric said:
I have been told there are several tunnels on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Fancy Gap Va and Cherokee NC. Is this true and how many are there?

Thanks Ced
There are a handful They're all short and quick. Like these:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts