Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got my lights re-wired and The front LED work with the rear lights not plugged in. The rear lights don't come on at all. parking or turn. I don't have the brake light on yet. Checked all the fuses and they are good. I can't seem to see what I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Sounds like you may have them wired incorrectly. Check the wires coming back to the rear signals and see if you have power to them. If so, rewire the rears and try again. Are the rears LED also?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first yes it was bulbs in the back. Just picked up some LED signals for the back. They light up but they don't split left or right. Just on or off

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
At first yes it was bulbs in the back. Just picked up some LED signals for the back. They light up but they don't split left or right. Just on or off
Is that to say you have running lights, but no rear turn signals? When activated do the fronts blink, but not the rears?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that to say you have running lights, but no rear turn signals? When activated do the fronts blink, but not the rears?
Currently the front LED signals are lit up like parking lights. They flash when activated. The rear LED signals do not light up like they are parking lights. When activated either left or right, both rear signals flash.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
I think you've got wires switched up going to the rear signals. Maybe you're feeding power to the ground wires of the rear signals?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been following my wire diagram. As best I can tell its accurate. Green to ground and light blue and orange to positive.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Some here who have gone to LEDs have had to install a diode for them to function properly. My rear turns are the only bulbs that haven't been switched, just to avoid that situation. When I installed LEDs in my front running lights I had hyperflash, but fixed that issue with a 2 wire electronic flasher unit.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Ok, got my lights re-wired and The front LED work with the rear lights not plugged in. The rear lights don't come on at all. parking or turn. I don't have the brake light on yet. Checked all the fuses and they are good. I can't seem to see what I'm missing.

The front LED turn signals aren't supposed to work with the rear lights not plugged in. Go over your wiring and try to find where it's wired up incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Try wiring a couple couple hundred ohm resistors, one each, in series anywhere in the right and left turning bulb circuits. The LEDs probably have insufficient resistance to trigger your flasher unit.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
it's odd that you're not getting 4-way flashing (hazards) on the front signals too, or are you? The 4-way flashing issue can be resolved by pulling the indicator light bulb on the dashboard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a slight break through from a chance video on youtube. Basically it boiled down to, the turn signal indicator light was a bulb and it was screwing up the LED's. Removed the bulb and the light all work fine now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the LED signals back to cycle gear. Asked if they could check them so I can see if its on my end or the lights. They grabbed a battery and the light lit up completely. While on my bike it only had 3 or 20 lit up. Ordered some resistors, we'll see if that fixes the issue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
RONW
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing