Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My saddlebags are soon to arrive, they are just some cheap leather ones until I purchase the hard bags.

I think I am going to need to do the turn signal relocator thing, any suggestions on which one to buy ??????
and how to do it.

the other question, the bracket that comes on the spirit 1100, is that all I need, or do i need to buy another stand off bracket or anything....its a 2005

·
Registered
303 Posts
I saw your post as I was about to post mainly the same question, just a different bike. I am not sure what you mean by "cheap leather ones". Myself I do not like the hard bag look on most bikes. But some members here have posted some really cool pics with hard bags. If your bike has never had saddlebags before, you will need the guards, also called brackets by some. Mine are from MC Enterprises, but many use others, such as "ghost brackets". My post is because I cannot find relocater kits for the turn signals.
Try search on this forum.
Remember to use AND when typing your words.
Other choices:
JP Cycles
Dennis Kirk
Cruisercustomizing
All have online sites.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Brit,

The signal relocation isn't that hard to do...as long as you can solder (it isn't hard if you can't). You will need to get a bracket to mount your signals on your license plate. Scott Holloway used to make one. Here is the bracket on cruisercustomizing.com... Relocation Bracket.

Here is a site showing how to do it on a 2002 Spirit 1100...there is (or should be) no difference with your bike.

http://www.eurekaboy.com/shadow/relocate.htm

About your bracket, the stock one is more than sufficient to hold your soft bags off the wheel. But, you may need to either bend them out more or add either a piece of wood or plexi to the back of the bag to help keep the bags from pushing in. I had used a piece of plexi in my soft bags before I got my Leatherlykes. I just cut a template for my bags and them pop riveted them in.

Hope this helps.

Riverwolf...this bracket should work on your bike too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool...thank you.

I was actually thinking about the rivets, thought they might be a good idea.

The bags I bought are a set I won of ebay pretty cheap.....the genuine buffalo leather ones.

When you get a full set for under $70, you know what quality you are getting, but, I am planning on hard bags later with the turn signals flushed in...so its temporary

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
cool...thank you.

I was actually thinking about the rivets, thought they might be a good idea.

The bags I bought are a set I won of ebay pretty cheap.....the genuine buffalo leather ones.

When you get a full set for under $70, you know what quality you are getting, but, I am planning on hard bags later with the turn signals flushed in...so its temporary
When you do the rivets...put some washers on the leather side to give the rivet something extra to hold on to. That way, you are pinching the leather between two flat surfaces. I think I ran mine from the outside (backside of the bag) to the inside...so the inside had the mushroomed head. I used a washer on the inside too to keep from pulling the river through the plexi. You can use a fairly small rivet as all you are doing is holding the plexi in place.

The bags sound like a good deal.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good point........plus the idea about the plexi......should make for a fun friday afternoon

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow....I just added eureaka boys website to my favorites, the guy should write manuals, what he does is so easy to understand

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holloway bracket

I just ordered & received Scot Holloway's bracket - I have a '95 Shadow ACE 1100 and there's no way I could make the bracket work on the ACE. I guess it's really designed for the Spirit and the two bikes' taillight assemblies are totally different. I had to return it.

I then bought Leatherlyke bags and the bags come with a turn signal relocation kit, including bracket and wiring, which worked even though I had to drill another hole in the bracket to allow for another existing bolt attaching the reflector bracket. Unfortunately, Leatherlyke doesn't make it clear on their web site that they include the relocation kit.

Wayne Simpson
'95 Shadow ACE 1100

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the relocation mod with the bracket from Cruiser Customizing and it worked out great. I still need to buy bigger bags as the old small ones look really small now. The only challenge I had was finding long runs of heat shrink tubing. I wound up using friction tape and topping that with electrical tape for the long wire run under the seat. Note: I saved a little wire by consolidating the ground wires further back towards the lights.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
gman said:
I did the relocation mod with the bracket from Cruiser Customizing and it worked out great. I still need to buy bigger bags as the old small ones look really small now. The only challenge I had was finding long runs of heat shrink tubing. I wound up using friction tape and topping that with electrical tape for the long wire run under the seat. Note: I saved a little wire by consolidating the ground wires further back towards the lights.
Gman,

Most of your electrical supply houses have heat shrink on a roll. At work, we get it from McMaster-Carr by the 100 ft spool.

Make sure that you use a heat gun on the heat shrink. It allows for better temperature control than a lighter.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of the nice things about doing mods is the need for new tools. I bought a heat gun "because I couldn't do the job right without it". (almost works every time with the wife) The really good one was the new air compressor I needed to fix the faucet in the bathroom. (ok, just kidding on that one, she's not THAT oblivious)

Thanks for the tip on the heat-shrink. I can tell you that every auto parts store and big-box home improvement store in the Tulsa area sells it only in little bags of 4" strips. (it took a few days to hit them all)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts