Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not sure what you are asking. The item in the link is the stem, this is attached to the fender support using the stud. The signal attaches to the stem using a screw into the angled piece. The wires run through the stem and get attached either under the seat for the rear or in the headlight bucket for the front. I hope that helps, if not ask again. I'm sure that someone here has the answer.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hey Rocky, thanks for the link. That’s exactly what I needed. Just ordered two stems for my 85 VT1100.

Went for a ride on the Shadow last week and about three miles out of town the right turn signal stem broke off. The left one was already cracked half way thru. So I went back to town and got out a different bike.

Stem, AKA, stay. Yup, the stem connects the turn signal to the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. The bike had NO turn signals at all... just the holes where they should have been.

I ordered the appropriate signals - but there is no way to attach them to the bike. I guess I need to order the appropriate "stems" as well.

Thanks again!

Dave (Rocky)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Let me step into the light and show everyone my ignorance.

I ordered new turn signals for my 85 Shadow 1100. There were NO signals on it at all. Something seems missing for connecting them to the bike. What are the "stems" I see advertised?

Bikemaster Turn Signal Stem - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

there are a number of one piece turn signals on the market if you decide to go away from the stock look. There is also a variety of stems. Some stems are actually flexible and the idea is that the stem would bend in the case of contact thus protecting the more valuable turn signal assembly... kind of like the willow vice oak...... I personally didn't care for the bulky stock signal/stem assemblies so I put some nice stainless steel shorties on my bike. Much nicer look in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are a number of one piece turn signals on the market if you decide to go away from the stock look. There is also a variety of stems. Some stems are actually flexible and the idea is that the stem would bend in the case of contact thus protecting the more valuable turn signal assembly... kind of like the willow vice oak...... I personally didn't care for the bulky stock signal/stem assemblies so I put some nice stainless steel shorties on my bike. Much nicer look in my opinion.

Thanks chief. I had already ordered the turn signals, so I guess I need to order the stems. I am fairly new at this whole thing, and had I known, I may have purchased some one-piece signals.

Rocky

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
nice thing about turn signals is that they are a fairly inexpensive modification one can do to their bike to personalize it down the road sometime. I have seen a wide variety of stems on the market also. You'll probably want to go stock this time to be on the safe side, but look hard in the catalogs and you should find a variety of stems, probably varying in quality. The good ones will dampen the vibrations between your bike and the bulb and not crack too easily in direct sunshine. Have you found the wires you'll need to wire them once all the hardware is in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts