Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it still works, but when i press it in to turn off the signal it's slow to come back out. any recommendations?
I lubricated the throttle cables today; they were so bad my throttle wasn't going back into place. I just used some 3 in 1 lubricant because that's what I had on me and I didn't even take the cables off just opened up the switch and squeezed some down the cables trying to be careful not to get lube on any electric parts. It works much better now. What lubricant should you actually use for this?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Get a can of 'air' used to blow out keyboards. Turn it upside down to spray the solvent propellant and blast the switch internals. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to defrost, then check it. Should be better.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine was the same way when I got my bike. Someone at the shop had sprayed some lubricant into it which helped but did not really solve the problem, but made trying compressed air a non-issue. If the shot of air mentioned above does not work, you might want to take the switch apart and clean it, then apply some dielectric grease. Should take of it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Contact cleaner works also, if al the above doesnt work, time to take the switch apart and clean the contacts

·
Registered
17 Posts
God made CRC contact cleaner. Works great on all electrical switches and dries instantly. Cleans and lube. I've used it for years without a single problem.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
I think you are confused. The turn signal switch is on the left side controls and the throttle cables are on the right side.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I lubricated the throttle cables today; they were so bad my throttle wasn't going back into place. I just used some 3 in 1 lubricant because that's what I had on me and I didn't even take the cables off just opened up the switch and squeezed some down the cables trying to be careful not to get lube on any electric parts. It works much better now. What lubricant should you actually use for this?
My wife had carpal tunnel so I made a tiny funnel and dumped a load of graphite into the cable which worked wonders. This is rank overkill tho'. Alternately, thinning some white grease (not heat dependent like most greases) with paint thinner or very light oil and using an eyedropper to feed it as you work it until slurry comes out the other end will help lube and clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts