Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a simple question for you with the regards to my Turn signal switch.
I just bought the bike a few months back and to me, it seems that the turn signal switch on the handle bar is a little stiff when I need to use it. I mean it works fine, but I think it should operate with a little more ease.
Do any of you know of a lubricant I could try, that would loose up the moving parts, but not hurt any electical contacts...?

Any advice or experiance would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks
O

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I sprayed some CRC Electrical connection cleaner in mine and it helped. Not sure if it has any lubricating properties, but it made the switch work easier and no worries about shorting.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I would have to agree with CBJR on this one. Chances are you have some grime in the switch. I would take the switch housing apart to get to the turn signal switch though. To make sure that the cleaner I sprayed in there got where it needed to go. You may also want to put a towel or blanket over as much of the bike as you can to keep any overspray off the bike. Not that contact cleaner will hurt the bike...but I wouldn't take that chance.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
opipe said:
Where abouts did you buy the CRC stuff??
Advance Auto is where I bought it, but Autozone, or any auto part place should have it....might find it at wally-world too.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
WD40 works in a pinch, but the electrical cleaner wont leave residue behind. Do make sure to cover things though, I dont know how good of paint remover the electrical cleaner makes.WD40 leaves a film that dust can cling to over time. Splitting the shell and cleaning it properly will work best in the long term.

I had to fix up the blinker switch on my daughter's bike this fall. There is no way any amount of spray would have fixed that by itself. In her case the bike had not been maintained properly prior to her getting it, so it was pretty nasty. It was bad enough that after I was in there and cleaned it, I used some heavy teflon grease in the spots where the assembly would have been lubricated from the factory. (only on the parts that slide, not the contacts) It was bone dry and rusty.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I've used both CRC contact cleaner and WD-40.

Both work fine.

While it's always a good idea to cover up the near by parts if you
are concerned about over-spray, I've never really had to worry about it.

The weep hole on the switch hosing is on the bottom and doesn't really
come anywhere near my painted parts.
I use the straw that comes with either product and shoot it inside.
Never had over-spray problems... but as they say, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Had the same thing on the wife's Spirit. Seemed a bit stiff flicking it to signal right. I attributed it to being a leftover '05 that was bought new in July '06. It has since loosened up by itself. Still is much stiffer than my 10 year old, 69,000 mile Valkyrie :wink: switch but no longer is a problem like it was at first.
I am assuming your bike is new!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the problem with my '02 750 Spirit (3,500 miles) on blinker cancel. Squirting lube into it didn't seem to help.

When I took the switch halves apart, I found that there is a screw that pivots and slides in a slotted hole, with a washer that holds the switch lever down. Moving the blinker switch left or right was fine, but when I pushed it to cancel, it was hard to push and wouldn't always cancel on the first push, unless I pushed straight in.

On mine it turned out that when the washer was stamped during manufacture, there was some burrs on it's edge which were digging into the lever causing it to bind, and flipping the washer over didn't seem to help much. I removed the washer again and smoothed the edges on a knife sharpening stone to make the surface more convex, and reassembled with some light (fishing reel) grease.

Works pretty well now.

Rick

·
Registered
865 Posts
On my '06 Spirit, I've found that to cancel the left blinker, giving it a nudge to the right, and vise versa, works better than pushing the switch in to cancel. I feel like this is one thing Honda has changed from the old days that isn't an improvement.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I ripped both the turn signal and the thittle section appart yesterday.
Actualy easier than I thought it would be.....Thanks God.
Anyway, cleaned the Turnsignal side with a little compressed air and some WD40, worked quite well. Everything looks good.
I have now come to the conclusion that because the bike only has 1100 miles is the reason it was stiff....
I also lubed up the thottle assembly and housing....next to the cables...maybe next weekend....it is to freakin cold to be puttering in the garage at this time of year....
Thanks for all the tips guys.
Cheers
O

1 - 12 of 12 Posts